Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
[langtitle=no]My Charlotte (series)[/langtitle]
Lens: 50mm Camera: Pentax K10D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F1.7 
Posted By: Larsenio, 12-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Hi again Pentaxians!

Here`s my first somewhat "serious" photo of my daughter.
I actually arranged (for the first time in my life) a photoshoot with a homemade customised background.
That`s really a babygym-turned upside-down with a blanket wrapped over it

Then I laid down on the floor and started shoot while trying to have her attention focused somewhat around me and my camera...
Not easy, but I`m looking forward to getting more experience as a hobby photographer, doing this.

So what do you think, are they okay?

They are all shot with my Pentax K10D , my SMC A 50mm f/1.7 manual focusing attached to it
The skintones are a bit different for each picture, because of the post-processing in Lightroom2. I`ve obviously set different temperatures for them

f/2.0

f/1.7

f/3.5
Views: 1,732
12-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Charlotte er rettferdig yndig. JEG ville har den vare ettall rammen
12-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i am impressed with the translation tool as used here. cool.

it sounds like you are seeking feedback, so i'll jump in with a few suggestions.

in #1 that ball is a distraction for me. it is too close and large and totally out of focus to be foreground interest, i think.
also, I wonder if putting more distance between Charlotte and the backdrop would help to blur the backdrop a little better and those wrinkles might be less distracting.
She is absolutely adorable and looks like she was entertained long enough for you to get good shots of her. Given her very fair features, i wonder what a darker backdrop might do for the portrait to make her stand out more. The white backdrop would be nice for some high key images if you want to try it.
I'd crop that 3rd photo some to tighten up a bit and eliminate all that blank space.
great try and lovely girl!
12-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments!
About the translation tool, I think it looked better than it works.. I had to translate it back to english to understand that last sentence, because some words mean different things in my language.

Anyways; I`m glad you gave me some feedback on the different images MikeSF. Have thought about what you meant, and will ahve to agree, you`ve got some really interesting ideas.
Didin`t think of the ball as a disturbing object, now I do

And I`m actually going to try a black bed linen next "shoot" with my daughter, and then I also will try more distance from her to the background, to get a (larger?) bokeh which is what I want

Thanks for your opinions

12-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good attempt.
Consider also your lighting as it seems the single flash from above in the first two (perhaps it was bounced vertically) and direct flash in #3 are less appealing than for example an off-camera flash triggered from camera upper-left (depending on how your daughter is posed/positioned).

All the best in that.
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Really a good set of images. The translation is suprisingly making sense to me.
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aha, now I understand why all this talk about translation..
It says that the text is directly translated from norwegian to english(US-english?) but that`s not true, this is written in english by me.
Dont`t know why it says so

About the light, I`ve just recently purchased an old, really old Vivitar 2800 flash as a part of Pentax gear (including 50mm f/1.7 & 135mm f/2.8 & a x1.5 macro converter) for a small amount of money from one of my colleagues at work.
This flash is quite stronger than the in-build as you know, so I`m trying to get used to work with it. And you`re right, Ash, it was bounced towards the ceiling on the first two ,and directly towards her in the 3rd image

Will try this way of using the flash now, I don`t think my fiancee will allow me to spend more money on photo gear right now

Maybe I should`ve used a wider aperture opening (if that sounds correct...?)

And Roentarre, thanks a lot