Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
October sunflower
Lens: 28mm Camera: K200d Photo Location: Ohio ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Cosmic Debris, 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Alright, my first post here. This is a picture I really like. I especially enjoy it now that it's winter and everything is so barren. This was shot on October 26 and is the last sunflower of the season. The Lens is a M42 'Focal' 28mm.

I'm just getting into editing my photos, so this is basically straight out of the camera with a little touch up and crop. I tried to crop so it looks the most interesting. I've considered cropping out the second sunflower head visible in the bottom right corner, but I found it hard to crop just right without it getting too tight. Now, I don't find it distracting, but my friend has told me it draws the eye too much away from the main subject and I should clone out the bottom right sunflower. I'm really not sure.

Here's another crop:

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism or comments.
Views: 1,591
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice colours.
12-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good result for a first post, and using a standard 28mm lens.
I like the perspective and clarity, as well as the quality of light on the flower.
The background seems hard to control, particularly for this lens, but it's not too objectionable.
Well done.
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good result for a first post, and using a standard 28mm lens.
I like the perspective and clarity, as well as the quality of light on the flower.
The background seems hard to control, particularly for this lens, but it's not too objectionable.
Well done.
Thanks. And yeah, the lens is a little finicky and is soft wide open. I normally shoot around f5.6-f11 with and it produces spectacular results.

Here's some more pictures taken within a few days. I waited for a good hour for another bee to land, but it was just too cold for them. It frosted a few days after these and the sunflower wilted.
I used an extension tube for the macros. I don't know what length, but it was quite short. The writing on the tube is worn off.