Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

55.000 photos | Folk and Feelings timelapse
Posted By: jaitas, 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Hi

This isn't exactly a photo but project includes more than 55.000 taken photos with a K10D + pClix and hours and hours of editing.

So I present my first real timelapse project. Folk and Feelings timelapse that tries to capture the unique athmosphere during annual Kaustinen Folk Music Festival in Finland. Festival is very traditional and one of the biggest folk festivals in the world.

This video is done entirely by me from photographs to editing. I used my trusted K10d + pclix + tripod and took timelapses in random festival location during the week and I have to say that this has been a rewarding and great learning experience for me.

Please watch HD video on vimeo and critique is very much appreciated.

-Juho

Last edited by jaitas; 12-30-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Views: 3,370
01-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Technically this is a great video. The framerate, the music, the photo's themselves all fit perfectly together. However, for your next timelapse I would suggest giving your subject material some more thought. Looking at people who're looking at other people can only hold people's (or mine, anyway) interest for a certain amount of time. The scenes in your movie are often quite similar, and a few aren't really very interesting (the shots at 0.40 and 2.30, for example). If it's any help, I found the shots of just a few people (such as the couple eating their ice cream at the start) work a lot better than faraway shots from a big crowd. With the latter it was often unclear what to look at. All in all, I think this movie would work better if it were shorter (this is not to disrespect the effort you put into this in any way).

Nonetheless, I take my hat off to your accomplishment, it was pleasent to look at and listen to, but I must admit that I had seen enough after 2 minutes. Your technique is spot on, but - I think - your choice of subject needs some more thought.
Yes, those are very valid comments and I find it myself also that the video could be more interesting. I still think this is fair accomplishment for a first festival timelapse. But you are correct that if I would do this again next year I would find different perspectives, angles and ideas and would probably be able to do a much better timelapse than this year because I learned so much when shooting and editing this.

But this is how it is because footage was shot at summer and after that I had to work with the material I got. Thank you for your advices they are well placed

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
A great tribute. Some of the scenes appeared to be zooming in during the time lapse. Is there a way for Pentax to do that automatically, did you do it manually, or did you just crop the images to successively smaller sizes?

Edit-- was this a festival project you were part of or just a personal video?
To your first question K10Ds 10 mp resolution will allow certain amount of cropping to achieve 1080p video, so I had some working space in postprocessing to pan and zoom, in some places I went more than 100% zoom and that worked quite ok also.

To your second question. This started kind of semi-festival project and I was supposed to get some kind of reward, but due to sad events this autumn this traditional festival is on the line of surviving and they have no money to pay me so I just did this to my personal joy and support for this festival. Hopefully they can continue to hold this quite legendary festival (it's I think the most known finnish festival in the world)

And thanks to all nice comments, I'm glad to hear that people seem to enjoy my work and that feels nice

-Juho

01-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #17

The HD version was too jerky to view with my internet connection but turning it off solved that. I think Kevin's comments are valid but you recognize that so it's a moot point.

I thought the music and images worked well together. All in all, a (thankless) job well done!