Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Kayaking Christmas or a Hot Spring Holiday (Pt.2)
Camera: K200D Photo Location: Nevada/Arizona 
Posted By: ThorThum, 12-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Here are rest of the photos from my kayak trip up the Colorado River to the hot springs there in the side canyons. This trip is more feasable in the winter, due to the fact that the Hoover Dam flows slowly this time of year. The warmer the weather, the more Las Vegas needs power, and the more the Dam flows, making it harder to paddle up-stream. It can still be done in warmer weather, but is markedly more difficult (I've done it in March).

The water still can rage at night though. Hoover dam ramps up at dusk to power the lights of Las Vegas, and the water level can rise 6-8 feet, especially on Christmas night. This was the case for us that evening. We were sharing a camp with a fellow from Oregon. He had this beautiful kayak that was hand made from fiberglass, than inlaid with wood (see below).

That evening we were cooking over the fire when the river started rising at dusk. We were about 100 feet from the river's edge, but it rose far enough to flood our fire and force our evacuation up the canyon. The guy that we were with was asleep at the time, safely out of the wake, but his kayak was not so lucky.

He had tied it to some big rocks right at the bank of the river. When he woke up the river had risen 8 feet, capsizing his craft. We attempted to recon his boat, but the river was so swift we couldn't pause a minute to cut the line. He would have to wait until the morning when the river went down to retrieve his boat, if it was still there.

Fortunately the boat was there, but down-stream 100 feet. The rocks to which the boat was tied were dragged. They caught on some bigger rocks and stopped the boat from going any further. He only lost his spray skirt, and we were able to right side his kayak and pull it to shore to pump it out.

This was the final resting place for the tent, with no river view in sight, the only safe scenario for sleeping.

This is another time lapse shot from our camp. You can just make out the blurry boats rattling around on the swollen river.

This is the whole reason for the adventure. It is a night photo of the hot spring "grotto," the candles are lit and the girlfriend hot.

And finally a gratuitous (and necessary) bottle of cheer.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!
Views: 1,955
12-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting series.
Some OOF, but the star trails attempt is a decent one.
Nice serene environment there. Looked like a lot of fun.
12-31-2009, 03:47 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Interesting series.
Some OOF, but the star trails attempt is a decent one.
Nice serene environment there. Looked like a lot of fun.
Thanks Ash. Focusing and camera shake can be challenging in the dark and with out a proper tripod. There are many things I should have done differently. Though not my best photos, I had a great time. I hope you enjoyed looking...

One last star trail pic for the road....