Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
No, I'm not from the Health Dept
Lens: 6.3 mm Camera: Nikon Coolpix L5 Photo Location: Post House Restaurant in Delaware ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: pardes, 01-03-2010, 12:18 AM

The waitresses freaked when I started taking photos and assumed I was undercover Health Dept. They were ready to snatch my half eaten eggs and bacon out from under me and throw me out when I explained I was a slightly senile photographer. Then the dishwasher remembered me...

Please zoom WAY in (pardon my pixels) to the frying pan handles in the middle of the photo and tell me what is enjoying the leftover scraps...

Do baby rats ears go up or down?
Views: 2,148
01-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

And you managed to finish your plate after seeing that? I would have served it back on the counter!(no barfing emoticon)
01-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In comparison to the waitress, any rodent seems harmless. She has 'health hazard' written all over her dirty apron.
01-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
emr

I can't see what you mean. Larger size version?

01-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I can't see what you mean. Larger size version?

There certainly are a lot of rats and rodents in Wilmington but I think this was just a frayed handle of the pan. Definitely a serious case of Pareidolia.

Well, I certainly hope it is since I've been eating there for 26 years. Well, okay, I USED to eat there. And, that is only because I went green, got rid of the car, and only frequent places within an easy bike commute. Really.
01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
emr

Ahh, OK now I see. Good choice changing your diet in this case.
01-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many a meal prepared by others are enjoyed with a blind eye and prayer.
01-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Otto von Bismarck :
To retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not watch them in the making.
Ignorance is bliss?

01-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

If any of you ever took a tour of most small restaurant kitchens you would find the same thing everywhere. Trust me. It doesn't make them unhealthy just because they look like that. I used to work in a small husband and wife restaurant as the dishwasher/busboy on the weekends. Was (and still is) the busiest place in town for breakfast. Kitchen looks worse that the place in the photo, yet it was clean enough for food and always passed health inspection which was done about once a month, or maybe more often, I was never there when they came, but I know they were there often. It's funny that people get revolted by these sights and vow never to eat out again. Yet, they've probably eating food from places just like this for years without incident. Restaurant kitchens are not easy to keep clean and perfect looking like you see in those fine dining places shown on TV.

Anyway that's my little rant. I like the photo, it's a good depiction of someone hard at work in an everyday average job. Dishwashing is a rough job, I think my back has been permanently damaged from being bent over the sink of the place that I worked at for 5 years.
01-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
If any of you ever took a tour of most small restaurant kitchens you would find the same thing everywhere. Trust me. It doesn't make them unhealthy just because they look like that.
(snip)
Anyway that's my little rant. I like the photo, it's a good depiction of someone hard at work in an everyday average job. Dishwashing is a rough job, I think my back has been permanently damaged from being bent over the sink of the place that I worked at for 5 years.
Thanks for the comment. I know that all restaurants big or small have sanitary issues.

I took this photo as a "street photo" of an American icon, the diner. It was NEVER intended to show something shocking. During PP, I was rolling around the photo at 200% and did the proverbial "EEEEEK" and just as quickly laughed two seconds later when I realized it was a frayed handle.

I never thought anyone would seriously think my post was anything but a joke on me. I apologize if you think I was insulting my "subject." Truly I never insult anyone, especially at my age when I realize the importance of appreciating others.

Nor did I think or intend it to look like a dirty waitress or cooking surface. Most small restaurants look like a war zone just after a very busy lunch service.
This photo was taken at noon in a diner with 8 revolving stools (and no tables) and 10 people waiting for a stool.

And....thanks for your compliment on the photo as a photo. They were very kind and welcome words.
01-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I never meant to imply that that I thought it was insulting at all. My point was more or less just the way I see people react when they see something like this. I've known a lot of people who have seen a dirty looking kitchen like this and it suddenly made them think twice about eating at that particular establishment. My point is more that just because it looks that way doesn't mean it's unsanitary. That's all. I do see what you are saying about the photograph and it would have been both funny and revolting at the same time if it was actually a mouse or rat on that pan handle.
01-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

well being a chef myself,this is fking discusting!im sure the food is just fine.
but you can tell they take no pride in their work.
i can agree that it is tough to keep any kitchen clean,but man thats just pure lazy!
imagine whats festering under the things you cant see
no wonder she freaked out when she saw you,because i bet she knows how fkin lazy she is!