Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

WHAT 26 BELOW ZERO LOOKS LIKE
Posted By: IowaBoy, 01-04-2010, 01:49 PM

+ 2 feet of snow & ice. Well it was closer to -15 when I took these photos but with the wind chill ... These go out to our snow deprived member in the southern hemisphere. As always C&Cs welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Views: 3,392
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
The only reason we live in Iowa is to prove it can be done.
You ought to try living in Nebraska!

01-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
Inactive Account

The first one has some fantastic lighting on the subject matter. I personally would have gone for something tighter, closer to the fence line to provide some foreground interest. The lighting on roof would have brought the eye into the frame while the fence line would have provided a perspective.

Something like this (hope you don't mind):
Attached Images

01-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
No I don't mind at all. Thanks for taking the time to play with it. Your crop does pull the eye to the building.

I tried all last summer photographing this same area w/o any results I liked. The trees and leaves overpowered the scene - even in the Fall color season. Now that I have seen it in winter I will return & explore other angles. 5 inches of fresh snow today
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by IowaBoy Quote
No I don't mind at all. Thanks for taking the time to play with it. Your crop does pull the eye to the building.

I tried all last summer photographing this same area w/o any results I liked. The trees and leaves overpowered the scene - even in the Fall color season. Now that I have seen it in winter I will return & explore other angles. 5 inches of fresh snow today
Work with your widest possible lens and get as close to the fence line as possible. I wouldn't worry about how the tree effects the look. As long as you focus on the building and use a DOF which *slightly* puts out the tree you will be fine. Also, the simple reason why your eye travels to the building is because it is the only illuminated subject in the frame. Try getting everything set up just before the time you took this image, tripod, lens, camera config, light metering, everything, wait for the light to position itself and voila. Bet you'll be happy.

01-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by King_Boru Quote
The first one has some fantastic lighting on the subject matter. I personally would have gone for something tighter, closer to the fence line to provide some foreground interest. The lighting on roof would have brought the eye into the frame while the fence line would have provided a perspective.

Something like this (hope you don't mind):
I think the width should've been kept the same, giving it a panorama look; the two yellow poles can be cloned out.

Just my 2c, hope you're ok with it
01-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some really beautiful captures!!! How do you do so using mittens?