Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Street Photography noob
Lens: 40mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Chicago, IL ISO: 3200 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: erickallemeyn, 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Hey all. I'm definitely a street photography newbie, but have always been fascinated by it. I went out today armed with my K-x and DA 40mm lens, let me know what you think. Constructive criticism only please!

Took about 200 shots, loved every minute of it. Sorta exhilarating, in a way. Will definitely be doing it again

Views: 1,982
01-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This is a good start. The first shot works the best for me. With street shots the hardest thing can be composition, especially if you are taking street candids. Second shot is not a bad capture either.

All of the shots seem a little noisy, but i'm guessing you wanted them this way. These could definitely do with a few tweaks in PP. Thanks for sharing Eric and look forward to seeing more.
01-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #3

I like #3. Can't help it. It's the chemist/physicist in me that takes the view that even an electron as a subject that doesn't even know that it's being observed still has a reaction to being observed....or something like that....

I suppose it's not purist street photography, but I like some engagement with the subject, even if it's very subtle, and especially if they are pretneding that they haven't noticed you noticing them.

I too, look forward to seeing more of your photos! Street photography rocks.
01-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Like in the 'double slit experiment'. That fascinates me too! Thanks for the comments as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

here's a few more from the shoot:

Last edited by erickallemeyn; 01-06-2010 at 08:23 AM.
01-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I love this kind of photography. Just one opinion: Ask some people to do a close portrait. Some of them will say no, but the ones who say yes will be very kind. You will feel great to speak with kind persons and the portraits will be fantastic. Sure.
01-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I really like picture # 5. The guy reminds me of the father in "Boondock saints"
01-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm no expert on the matter, but I think you're off to a good start ! I really like the man's expression on the 3rd of the first series.

PS.: I completely understand your feeling of exhilaration while doing this, I felt the same way.