Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Koala wars
Lens: 70mm Camera: K200D Photo Location: Aldgate - South Australia ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MoiVous, 01-06-2010, 04:17 AM

Whilst putting out the rubbish last night, I heard crashing and grunting in the bush. Sounded like a koala - but it was actually 2 koalas having a fight! I ran in, grabbed the camera and flash and tried to creep up without disturbing them.

The following aren't brilliant images, but you'll get the idea.

All shot with my Metz 48AF-1 and Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 DF. Still learning how to use that flash......

[ Click on the images to enlarge ]

Starting with the sumo wrestlers on the road....they had just about crossed the road by this time from the scrub at our place - about 15 metres.

After rolling off the road, they moved onto the verge, and one shimmied up the tree...

....followed by the other......

who gave up and wandered off to sit in another tree......

If you look closely, you'll see the deep scratches by his left eye and the right side of his nose. The first guy has a deep scratch on his mouth.

Important point to note - these animals are very fast movers when they want to be, and can get up a tree in seconds - those claws are very sharp and very strong. Cute and cuddly? Perhaps in the right hands.......

Thanks for looking - and any advice on using the Metz 48AF better gratefully accepted. BTW, I tried red-eye reduction but to no avail. Marsupials must have different eyes!

Cheers
Views: 2,451
01-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
God, they can make some horrible noises. You've captured the fight & flee well

Where were these taken?
01-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #3

Ahh - drop bears - beware!

Well documented Chris - they do indeed look they they were having a sumo match!
01-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably fighting over some sheila.

Dan.

01-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice to see something completely different.... you've got a magical country....
would've loved to see this in video form...sound and fury...
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Vicious they may be at times but to one who only sees them in pictures they still look cute and cuddly to me. I'll keep living in my fantasy

Nice shooting by the way. Wild animals are tough. For me anyway. How cool it would be to see some different critters than what I normally see around where I live. But then again, my wild critters would be different to you huh.
01-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Vicious they may be at times but to one who only sees them in pictures they still look cute and cuddly to me. I'll keep living in my fantasy

Nice shooting by the way. Wild animals are tough. For me anyway. How cool it would be to see some different critters than what I normally see around where I live. But then again, my wild critters would be different to you huh.
I'm with you Mel... cutest fight ever! ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mitch Hedberg:
"My apartment is infested with koala bears. It's the cutest infestation ever. Way better than cockroaches. When I turn on the light a bunch of koala bears scatter. And I don't want them to, you know, I'm like, Hey, wait, come back....
01-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager

Feisty aren't they?
The perception of 'cuddly bears' vapourises with the witnessing of a bear fight...

They're really susceptible to red (white?) eye, eh?

01-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Now those are some Kool Koala Kaptures
01-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With the Metz I usually have it in Manual mode with flash strength down to either 1/16 or 1/32 keep in mind how far the subjects are adjust according take test shots and dial in adjust till you have at least a shutter speed of 1/125s and experiment TFS

cheers
01-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
God, they can make some horrible noises. You've captured the fight & flee well

Where were these taken?
Yeah - don't they make a weird noise. My kids used to call them Tree Pigs - its that sort of grunting.

As for location - we live in the Adelaide Hills around Aldgate. This started in our backyard and moved to the paddock across the road!

QuoteOriginally posted by MattC Quote
Ahh - drop bears - beware!

Well documented Chris - they do indeed look they they were having a sumo match!
Cheers Matt! I haven't heard the old drop bear joke for ages

And thanks for the kind comment - really appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Probably fighting over some sheila.

Dan.
Spot on Dan - there was a female nearby, and another male. We seem to be over run with them at the moment!!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
nice to see something completely different.... you've got a magical country....
would've loved to see this in video form...sound and fury...
Thankyou - its magic in many respects, but when I see images (and have the chance to travel in some parts) of Europe and North America, I'm amazed too. We have a truly amazing planet!

Sadly, my K200D lacks video, and my old Canon P&S is dead - so no video this time around. But if you want to learn more about koalas grunting and fighting, check out this page
and to listen, visit this page

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote

Thanks for the nice comments Mel . And they do look really cute, and I have handled them at a local wildlife park and they are soft (just don't touch their ears - very sensitive).

You'll have to venture down to this hemisphere and see them close up - lots of nature parks around! And some let you get up close and personal

As for differences in the local wildlife between continents - my wife & I spent a month in Ireland & the UK recently, and we were thrilled with the deer, robins, varieties of sheep and hares we encountered as we travelled (and even the squirrels in Hyde Park). So yes - it fascinating to see someone elses wildlife up close in their own environment.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I'm with you Mel... cutest fight ever! ...
Thanks Josh.

Looks cute, not obviously violent, but the damage they inflict, and the sumo wrestler type grunts and rolls tells you they are serious.

And thanks for that quote from Mitch Hedberg - I hadn't seen that before.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Feisty aren't they?
The perception of 'cuddly bears' vapourises with the witnessing of a bear fight...

They're really susceptible to red (white?) eye, eh?
Thanks Ash. Yes - not as cute as they appear as you say. Still, when you want to spread your genes around.......watch out anyone that gets in the way of these guys!

As for the white/red eye - the marsupial eye must be differerent in action to ours. Might need to do some reading!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Now those are some Kool Koala Kaptures
Cheers Jan - thanks for looking.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
With the Metz I usually have it in Manual mode with flash strength down to either 1/16 or 1/32 keep in mind how far the subjects are adjust according take test shots and dial in adjust till you have at least a shutter speed of 1/125s and experiment TFS

cheers
Many thanks for that - I'll give that a try and see if I can improve my shots. Its going to be a learning curve, but I've only had this flash since just after Christmas!