Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Early morning at Laratinga Wetlands
Camera: K200D Photo Location: Laratinga Wetlands, Mount Barker, South Australia 
Posted By: MoiVous, 01-09-2010, 12:49 AM

A few of Blackwood Photo Club & South Aussie Pentaxians visited the Laratinga Wetlands early this morning for a dawn shoot. Given that it was due to be a very hot day (43C) we enjoyed the early morning cool and captured a few images.

Here's a selection.......[click to view enlarged images] - shot with a range of lenses including Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 & Takumar 70-200 f4 bayonet....

Pre-dawn sky....

and some pelicans flying in......

Dawn breaks.....

with a little lens flare too.....

The local landscape, after the sun rises is quite interesting too....

and this is not grass - its duck weed!

which you sort of see here.....

and finally - some of the local residents.....

although there are lots more, including blue wrens, firetail finches, ducks, water fowl, spoonbills, honey eaters and frogs.

I'll leave that to the other guys with longer lenses to add to this post....

Once again, a great time was had by all - with Kev.Pride summarising by saying "this is worth another visit!".

Thanks for looking...

Cheers
Views: 2,686
01-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, with #2 being my pick of the bunch.
A beautiful graduation of colour complemented by the smooth water reflection and birds flying by.
Well done with them all.
01-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the first photo. It almost looks as if it was taken from space. I looked at it a long time while thinking about why the sky is blue.
01-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shots all around but I think #2 is my fav as well. Smooth as silk and the birds really add the icing on top of the cake. I think its cool that the first few look almost like rorschach tests.

Mike

01-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #5

A great set Chris - unfortunate there was no clouds in the sky, but a good time had my all I think.
The second one is fantastic - hope to see this printed in the near future
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shots Chris (: I like all the Green in pic #7..
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The first shot is a masterpiece....very well done! I can see it being blown up to an enormous size and framed!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

nr 1 and 2 are spectacular! Very good work!
01-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice series Chris
01-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice series, with #2 being my pick of the bunch.
A beautiful graduation of colour complemented by the smooth water reflection and birds flying by.
Well done with them all.
Thanks Ash!
I hadn't really appreciated how smooth that gradation was - but now you mention it......

BTW, that shot was serendipity. Wasn't expecting the pelicans and I was using the self timer for mirror lockup, so the fact that they were in just the right spot was a gift! The smooth water got harder as the morning progressed too - lots of birds landing on the water made lots of wavelets!
Moral of story - take your shots before the birds land!

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I really like the first photo. It almost looks as if it was taken from space. I looked at it a long time while thinking about why the sky is blue.
Cheers Dragonfly. Glad you liked it. The extra blue is partly my PP - I tweaked the contrast and black a touch in ACR. But additionally, the shot was taken 40 minutes before sunrise, so it was still quite blue.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice shots all around but I think #2 is my fav as well. Smooth as silk and the birds really add the icing on top of the cake. I think its cool that the first few look almost like rorschach tests.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Do you think we should sell images like this to psychologists? If you asked me what it look like I'd say a sound wave spectrum, but others may disagree.

QuoteOriginally posted by MattC Quote
A great set Chris - unfortunate there was no clouds in the sky, but a good time had my all I think.
The second one is fantastic - hope to see this printed in the near future
Hey Matt - thanks. Yep, the clouds weren't there (another time maybe), but a good time was had by all! And the suggestion of seeing the print is noted.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
Great shots Chris (: I like all the Green in pic #7..
Good to see you there Adrian! And thanks for the comments. That green duck weed was amazing. Loved the way it flowed up the sides of things almost like capillary action.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The first shot is a masterpiece....very well done! I can see it being blown up to an enormous size and framed!
Thanks Adam - really glad you liked it. Its on my list of prints to frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
nr 1 and 2 are spectacular! Very good work!
Many thanks for looking and the positive feedback. I'm getting the impression that #1 and #2 need to be hung on the walls!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Nice series Chris
Cheers Jan - thanks for stopping by and sharing!

Thanks to everyone - and thanks to Matt for suggesting the dawn shoot - well worth the 4:15am wake up (though some got up a lot earlier to get there......proximity has its advantages!)

Cheers
01-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #11
Forum Member

Hi Chris

A couple of stunners followed by a great set.
Sorry I missed it, I was in sunny (!!!!) Port Augusta.
Look forward to the second visit

By the way the K7's weather parameters are better than mine. The last shot I took up there had camera temp of 42C according to Photome. And that was at midday.