Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Walk in a snowstorm with 18-55 WR
Lens: 18-55 Camera: K20D Photo Location: St-Laurent river, Quebec city, Canada 
Posted By: bdery, 01-09-2010, 09:59 AM

After receiving my 18-55 WR lens, I felt a snowstorm was the perfect occasion to test it since that's how and when I will use the lens anyway.

Loving it, loving it! It's great to be able to carry the camera around my neck with snow blowing all around. I did get a lot of curious (and worried) stares, but I just kept on smiling and shooting.

Did I mention I love WR?

Here ar some of the results:

Views: 1,843
01-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Very nice set! And the kitlens IS underestimated!

I found its sweet spot in my recent winter images ( Winter in mid Sweden ) threads!

Again, very good set of images!
01-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spectacular scenes here mate - I think you need to now change your signature to "Now made a true Pentaxian"
#1 and #2 are excellent and inspiring.
Well done and thanks for sharing these fine results.
01-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great shots mate. I've been watching the images done with this lens very closely. I might buy one once I sell my DA* 16-50 just so I can have the WR option available. Beside it seems like an amazing lens for its price.

01-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great set of winter images
01-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for commenting. The WR kit is a very nice lens indeed. It does not quite compare with my Sigma 17-70 in terms of absolute results, but it's quite close. Setting the camera to MTF priority sure helps too

I'm very glad I got it, having a weather resistant kit makes a lot of sense for my shooting style and favourite outdoors activities. Even though the kit is not a low-light performer, it will serve its purpose and serve it well.

QuoteQuote:
I've been watching the images done with this lens very closely. I might buy one once I sell my DA* 16-50 just so I can have the WR option available. Beside it seems like an amazing lens for its price.
A question, why would you replace the 16-50 with the kit?

QuoteQuote:
I think you need to now change your signature to "Now made a true Pentaxian"
I think I'll do just that.

Thanks all for commenting.
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice series. The first one really speaks to me. I received the same lens with my K-7 but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Hopefully I won't have to in snow.
01-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series. The first one really speaks to me. I received the same lens with my K-7 but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Hopefully I won't have to in snow.
I actually love snow. When wearing the right clothes, it's not a problem.

Thanks for the comments. #1 is my favourite too.

01-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
really captures winter's wrath... very nice...
01-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
really captures winter's wrath... very nice...
Wrath... I like that word...
01-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots ! I really like the first three, altough I would prefer if there we did not see the house & lampposts at the far left edge on #2.

I've had this lens in the back of my mind as an bad weather walk-around zoom ever since it came out. I'm holding out because I already have at least 3 "walk-around" lenses: FA35, DA21, and Sigma 17-70. But I don't use my Sigma very often lately, so maybe I should sell it and buy the 18-55WR to "replace" it. I haven't brought myself to do it yet, but these images of yours are making me comtemplate this move more seriously...
01-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Great shots ! I really like the first three, altough I would prefer if there we did not see the house & lampposts at the far left edge on #2.

I've had this lens in the back of my mind as an bad weather walk-around zoom ever since it came out. I'm holding out because I already have at least 3 "walk-around" lenses: FA35, DA21, and Sigma 17-70. But I don't use my Sigma very often lately, so maybe I should sell it and buy the 18-55WR to "replace" it. I haven't brought myself to do it yet, but these images of yours are making me comtemplate this move more seriously...
I agree about the house and posts, I keep looking for a different way to frame the picture (it's a favourite walk of mine) but this is the best composition I have been able to come up with... I don't feel like cloning these out.

I also own the Sigma, though I'm still considering getting a wide prime. The Sigma will remain my main walkaround lens (decently fast, good macro, excellent IQ) and the WR will play a specific role. It won't be used all the time, but it WILL be used : in bad weather, when I need a really small kit, or near large bodies of water

The lens is quite fast at focusing (as fast as the Sigma, or nearly so) even in low light. The build quality is surprising, nothing feels cheap about it, it's just as nice as the Sigma.