Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Six years ago it was film.
Lens: f4 20mm Camera: Pentax K2 Photo Location: Chicago ISO: 400 
Posted By: Normpixel, 01-11-2010, 12:27 AM

As a newcomer to Pentax Forums (but not to Pentax) I have been "invited" to show "older" (Pentax) work as I currently am shooting non-Pentax, non-DSLR digital as a "hobbyist"...

Scanning 4 x 6 prints (not having the shots in "digital form"!) is not my idea of a "QUALITY GOOD TIME" but I thought I'd try a couple just to see how bad they could be after posting.

I've always liked the 20mm and have been a little disappointed that Pentax hasn't "turned loose" a full frame DSLR (as expensive as one would be!). I still "have fun" shooting with non-pro digitals even though none of them "go as WIDE" as the 20mm that goes on my K2.

From Chicago (6 years ago) a shot from "below" and a shot from "above"...

...Normpixel... "P.S.", it was a "MURKY" day!

Attached Images

Views: 1,794
01-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

One of my favourite cities, how apt that memories captured on film can evoke my own memories of it. Please... post more, especially if they're this good!
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum - great way to start.
There is a good film contingent here, so you'll feel at home.
Enjoy your time here and your photography.
01-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
The "artifacting (etc.!)" from a "poor" scan, "pebble" finish on the print (etc.) contributes to "masking" that unmistakable "film look"... BUT "Thanks!" for the encouragement; here are 3 more (2 are the unmistakable full frame 20mm wide look and one cropped for a "cine" effect with possibly a longer focal length... all taken using the K2 with 400 ISO color negative film).
...Normpixel...

Attached Images

01-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Now I'm replying to my own posts! Oh well, it takes a while to figure out this "thread, posting, etc. business" anyway... (am I even in the Correct Category forum?!?). At least I'm at the "right community": PentaxForums.com!!

I grew up 60 miles from Chicago in rolling farm land, BUT in '85 accidently lost a 10,000 image "library" (water damage) at a time that I no longer lived in Illinois. During a two and a half day "whirlwind" trip to Chicago almost 20 years later (by that time I had the K2 and the 20mm and other "odds and ends"), I tried several "experiments" including some shots using an auxiliary fisheye. This is one of those images (complete with "stretched" limo!)... I cropped it to give it a "Chicago Dome" effect. You might IMAGINE what I could have done with more time and a REAL (think QUALITY!) Pentax fisheye lens.

...Normpixel... P.S. All of these Chicago (Pentax K2) images posted in PentaxForums are from that 2 & 1/2 day trip in 2004.
Attached Images

01-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
One more (for now!) Chicago "K2 with the 20mm" shot... "you can really go vertical" with the 20mm. Here the imposing "curve of glass" at 333 Wacker Drive (center) reflects the late afternoon sky.

[exposures not recorded; I was shooting fast, and walking faster!]

...Normpixel...
Attached Images

01-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Normpixel Quote
[exposures not recorded...]
Aah, film. You have to have shot with it to understand! Nowadays, it just seems... well, I hesitate to say easier, 'cos even with digital I still take crappy photos, but it is certainly a different experience.

But what I really miss is the satisfying sound a film SLR made when pressing the shutter button, I guess it must have been the additional noise of the shutter curtains.

Thanks for the nice Chicago reminiscences, anyway.
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sometimes it's "nice" (OR preferred!) to go "quiet mode" [digital advantage!] OR have "way more" exposures available than 36 [digital advantage!] OR be able to "almost instantly" change your ISO, WB (color temperature), etc. [digital advantage!]... and the list goes on.
Every "medium" has its advantages AND disadvantages! That may be why "CHOICE" may be one of the "best" photo "accessories"...
...Normpixel... P.S. With medium format (and larger) you CAN have BOTH (film AND digital backs) BUT it will "cost you"!!