Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Black Skyline Sunday Drive
Camera: K200D Photo Location: Perth and Fremantle, AU ISO: 100 
Posted By: goddo31, 01-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi,

A couple of times on here I have mentioned that cars is a hobby of mine... Similar to photography in that it drains the income rather severly. So here are some fairly basic photos of my 'work in progress' car, a 1988 Nissan Skyline GTS-X Coupe.
If you haven't seen one before and are curious, have a look here: R31
as I don't think they are really found outside of Japan, AU or NZ... Basically it's the model before the popular R32 skyline.

Comments are welcomed, to be honest I could probably use some help with compositions on these type of images.

cheers,
Views: 2,147
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Th ol' Skyline - great car in its time.
The biggest challenge with car images is having enough space around the car and a complementary, non-distracting background. That's where the biggest advantages can be made on your images. Then a better quality of lighting is the next big challenge - midday sun's OK but not very flattering. Afternoon/evening sun, particularly with a dramatic sky usually suits very well, and as such may require supplementary lighting on the car itself to bring it out in the foreground of the shot.

Just my 2c worth.
Thanks for sharing goddo.
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash.
I did indeed struggle with how much space to put around the car! Thanks for the lighting comments, I guess you can tell the time of day pretty clearly by the amount of reflections here - 1 & 2 were about 2pm while the others were several hours later.

cheers,
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work Jason.

I had the forerunner to this vehicle, back in the 70's.

Your car is derived from the Prince Skyline, built in the mid '60's, and bought out by Nissan. The Prince Motor Co was seriously ahead of its time in the power stakes.

The car I had was a 1965 Prince Skyline 2000GT. It had a 2 litre straight 6 cyl motor, triple dual throat webers, manual gear box...and tiny brakes. Its trademark was the round tail lights that the Nissan Skyline series carries to this day.

It was an incredibly quick motor car in its day, it didn't particularly like corners which could catch the unwary out big time.

Cheers
Grant

01-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers Grant, I'd love to see a photo of your old Prince Skyline if you have any handy?
I like all old skylines, would love to see some from earlier than the 80s in person, think they are quite rare these days.

A friend of mine was looking at importing a KPGC-10 1969 GT-R from Japan, however it would have been incredibly expensive...

cheers
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a very beautiful car, very clean. =)
01-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Cheers Grant, I'd love to see a photo of your old Prince Skyline if you have any handy?
I like all old skylines, would love to see some from earlier than the 80s in person, think they are quite rare these days.

A friend of mine was looking at importing a KPGC-10 1969 GT-R from Japan, however it would have been incredibly expensive...

cheers
Sorry, nothing at hand to post. May have one buried deep in a box of photos, which in turn is buried deep in the storage shed.
....but I did find this link.
Rare JDM Sedan: 1966 Nissan Prince Skyline GT-B BaT – The best vintage cars for sale online
Cheers.

01-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave, and Grant cheers for the link.

Jason.