Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
This is my stop! (a bus)
Posted By: Matthew Roberts, 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM

This is the bus I rode from central Austin (38th and Lamar, for anyone who wants to know, the location of Precision Camera and Video) to Leander, at Leander Park & Ride. Takes a hour, ride the 987, a similar route down to 14th and Guadalupe every weekday this summer to go to Austin Community College's Rio Grande Campus for Sculpture I. That takes an hour and fifteen minutes approximately. Enough about me, here's the EXIF:

Pentax K100D
kit lens (SMCP-DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 AL)

1/500s
f/8.0
23mm
ISO 200

Cropped and converted to sepia in PSP XI.

Views: 1,799
06-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like the high-key look to it.

So, have they finished the 183 bypass? From the look of that CapMatro stop, it's new. Doesn't look at all like the ones closer in town. We Cedar Park left in 2001 when they were just starting to tear the h3ll out of the 620 exchange. When I was back last summer it was still torn up, but at least they had the flyover finished. Coming back next month for a week to play around.
06-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yep, US183A is finished, along with TX45, which takes over part of the RR620 freeway east of US183, then heads for IH35, and eventually TX130, a big loop from IH35 south of Georgetown down to US290.

All of the buses to Leander Park and Ride use 183A to Northwest P&R (soon to be renamed Lakeline P&R, once commuter rail begins), that'd be the 983 (N. US183 Express), 986 (Leander Direct via IH35), and 987 (Leander and NW Express).

At Leander Park & Ride right now, there's "gates" all the way to H, and they only use C, D, and E. For 987, 983, and 986. Traffic is sparse at Leander during the day, as only 983 runs all day, and that's only once every hour. 986 and 987 are morning and afternoon rush services only.

These Express buses, which I've only seen on 983 and 982, the Pavillion Express, are definitely the nicest buses CapMetro runs, fully cushioned cloth seats, it's almost like a Greyhound bus, just cleaner (from what I've heard about Greyhounds), when I ride 987 in the morning, it's always the older (what I call) medium-distance buses.

Where do you live now, Eric?
06-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
Yep, US183A is finished, along with TX45, which takes over part of the RR620 freeway east of US183, then heads for IH35, and eventually TX130, a big loop from IH35 south of Georgetown down to US290.

Where do you live now, Eric?
That's great to hear. We lived in Buttercup Creek, just off lakeline blvd. We're now in Oklahoma where we grew up. It's a slower pace, but good for raising our kids. I do get a hankering for some Salt Lick or Katz' Deli every now and then, though.

06-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The bad news is, they're all toll roads.

That's not far from where I live now, Blockhouse Creek, though I'm moving out to the Hill Country, west of Liberty Hill, south of Bertram, on FM1174.

I'm more of a Rudy's person myself. The extra lean brisket there is heaven, especially with RC Cola and cream corn.
06-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
I'm more of a Rudy's person myself. The extra lean brisket there is heaven, especially with RC Cola and cream corn.
Mmmm. We have a Rudy's in Oklahoma now, so I can satisfy my cravings with only a 90 mile drive. It's only about 30 miles out of our way from doing our grocery shopping, so we indulge ourselves occasionally. But, I have to argue. I prefer an IBC Cream Soda with my fatty brisket or a Shiner if it's after work.

This gets me to remembering a favorite place. Is C'Hunt's Ice House still on north Burnet Road, just north of 183? That was a great place to get a couple of cold beers on a hot day after slaving in front of a computer monitor. I recall 6 long necks, on ice, in a galvanized bucket, served by a sassy young thang, for only $8. No TV's, shuffleboard tables, etc. Just a picnic bench, under an ivy-strewn arbor, with a game of 'washers' if you were inclined.

Those were the days...
06-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow didn't know there was a Rudy's in OK. Knew about the two in ABQ.

I have no idea about C'Hunts, as I've never been there, never heard of it, and I'm underage to drink alcohol.

Wonder if anyone else will reply to this topic?