Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Don't Look, we're Shy
Posted By: little laker, 06-22-2007, 04:04 PM

There was only 1 way for me to photograph these birds, and that was setting my camera up on the tripod then sneak around the corner and use my remote control

I think that the one was wondering what my camera was

Please let me know if there aren't 3 pictures there
Views: 2,319
06-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see four. No three, sir, three! Oh darn it, I'm still stuck on the Holy Handgrenage thing in the other thread. What cute birds, but be very careful, they may be in league with the rabbit and the chipmonk. I nearly wet my armor.
06-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

LL, nice content, but I'm not so sure about the execution of the images. They look out of focus to me. But when that is kept aside, good images. :-)

Cheers,
-Asad
06-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There cute Stu, but I agree with Asad I think your center of focus looks to be a little low and to the left. But then what can you do from around the corner. Just be careful one of them doesn't turn around and let you know what he thinks of being watched.

06-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do agree with you, I just didn't know how to focus in on them better. I really didn't know if they'd stick their heads out or what, although I could have probably tried auto focus with the remote.

Don't worry David, I wasn't too worried about being seen
However I didn't know what their father would do. He was on the power line watching me
06-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stu,

The concept and the effort are wonderful. Execution could use a little more technique to strengthen the image.

I can't tell for sure whether it is out of focus or camera shake on the tripod which is contributing to the general lack of sharpness.

It looks to me like it was taken in a shaded area... so you might consider manually focusing the camera, stopping down and use a flash for greater DOF and resolution as well as increasing color saturation.

If you are using a tripod use the mirror lockup method on the camera to reduce mirror slap vibration. That will help too.

Gotta hunt me down some baby birds to shoot now...

Stephen
06-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Personally I'm against using a flash, on anything living except humans expecting it. So that parts out I don't like the idea of blinding them, even though it's only for a short time.

I'd love to try the mirror lockup method though. I just don't know how to on the K100D If anyone can tell me I'd really appreciate it

Your probably right about the camera moving Stephen.
Although I was using a tripod designed for medium format's the wind was pretty nasty at the time. So I'm sure that the camera moved.
I should have known better than that

I might try the same thing in the next couple of days during the golden hour.

06-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stu,

Some information for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Personally I'm against using a flash, on anything living except humans expecting it. So that parts out I don't like the idea of blinding them, even though it's only for a short time..
I have done research and read countless research papers on just this topic as I make my living flashing people all day long (with a camera...not a trench coat ). With extremely high wattage output mind you. The flashes have virtually no effect at all on natures creatures and impart no damage to their retinas or ommatidium (insects). Please trust me on this one.

[/QUOTE]I'd love to try the mirror lockup method though. I just don't know how to on the K100D If anyone can tell me I'd really appreciate it .[/QUOTE]

I have not used my K100D for a long time but I think that you press the FN button, then hit the up button and then move laterally to the 2 sec. button. That will allow you to trigger your camera...the mirror will flip up for two seconds prior to the shutter snapping. Disarm this modality by doing the exact opposite.

[/QUOTE]Your probably right about the camera moving Stephen.
Although I was using a tripod designed for medium format's the wind was pretty nasty at the time. So I'm sure that the camera moved.
I should have known better than that [/QUOTE]

In a heavy wind try hanging a backpack loaded with big Pentax lenses or rocks () and that will dampen the effects of the wind.

[/QUOTE]I might try the same thing in the next couple of days during the golden hour.[/QUOTE]

Try a flash my friend. You will not hurt them. You have my word on it and my word is important to me.

Hope this helps.

Stephen