Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Green House
Lens: 50mm Camera: K20d Photo Location: Cambridge, MA 
Posted By: xephias, 01-14-2010, 04:44 PM

First photos I post here... Need the feedback.
I took them with my K20d and a pentax-a 50mm f1.7.
PP: I only opened them in picasa and applied "Auto contrast" (is that allowed, or is it considered cheating? ).

Picture 1: f2.8, 1/45s, ISO 100
Picture 2: f11.0, 1/6s, ISO 800

For higher resolution click here.

Attached Images

Views: 1,596
01-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The colors are a bit bright to be used as bokeh for my taste. My eyes keep trying to focus on the house, which of course, isn't in focus. What was your concept? Perhaps there's another way to execute it.
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
First of all, thanks for the feedback. Your question made me think about what I was trying to accomplish with the picture.

I guess I over-emphasized the house, which is what is out of focus. In other words, in this picture I wanted to lead people's eyes to the house, but keeping it out of focus.

Is it always wrong to compose so that the main object is what is out of focus? Is there any school of though in photography which would find this acceptable?

G.
01-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xephias Quote
First of all, thanks for the feedback. Your question made me think about what I was trying to accomplish with the picture.

I guess I over-emphasized the house, which is what is out of focus. In other words, in this picture I wanted to lead people's eyes to the house, but keeping it out of focus.

Is it always wrong to compose so that the main object is what is out of focus? Is there any school of though in photography which would find this acceptable?

G.
Out of focus shots are not unusual, in fact they are often intentionally used for abstract and other purposes.

There's an article on out of focus subjects here: Taking unfocused photos.

If anything, you demonstrated your ability to achieve the shot you set out to get.

Here's an example of two strong elements where the foreground element is strong and in focus while the background element is out of focus, but clearly identifiable: Sydney Opera House.

01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations and the links Matiki! They will certainly help.

G
01-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matiki Quote
The colors are a bit bright to be used as bokeh for my taste. My eyes keep trying to focus on the house, which of course, isn't in focus. What was your concept? Perhaps there's another way to execute it.
I agree with matiki, but you explained it in the later posts.
Good luck with your experiments, looking forward to see more from you!