Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Waterfalls of Brevard, NC
Posted By: mediaslinky, 06-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Went to Brevard today, and saw 4 waterfalls in about 3 hours. I had no idea how many, and how close they were. Used the kit lens and my 50mm M f2 for most. All handheld.

First we went south to a double fall, but the base trail was closed, so we had to look at it from above. Used the Vivitar 75-205mm.

One of the closer fall. This is the top, it drops about 30 feet past this.

And of the far one.

Sadly they were trying to sell the land around this waterfall to developers. The rest are in Pisgah National Forest, so they are protected.

This is the Looking Glass Waterfall, and is the most photgraphed one in the area (so the guide book said). I can see why. Very picturesque setting. Also right next to the road, so it was easy to get to. (Note the dust speck on the lens, top left! Have to clone that out.)

The next was quite a trek into the woods. The guide book described a short walk to a bridge (which was out!) and past a meadow and to the right. It was almost a mile from there.We almost turned back twice, not sure if we were on the right path. There were no signs anywhere.

But we heard the sound of rushing water and were we were greeted by this sight. I couldn't believe the tree growing out of the middle of it. We're still not sure this was the right fall, but it was an interesting one.

Another angle, closer up.

Then we traveled up te mountain (by car) a bit more, and stopped at this last one. Here we saw what the drought has done. There was barely a trickle of the fall that normally can be seen here. (You can see some hand shake in this one)

All in all, it was a fun day. We also visited a fish hatchery. My son loved wading at the Looking Glass Falls. I took a bunch of shots, and had tons of fun.

slinky
Views: 1,395