Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
BIF - chance shot of a mallard
Lens: 200 Camera: K10D ISO: 400 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Lowell Goudge, 01-18-2010, 07:13 AM

this is a situation I am sure every one experiences, out doing one thing, and you have a single chance shot at something else.

Had an M42 200mm F3.5 preset on my K10D, and was taking a shot with a highlight and dark background, and had as a result the exposure compensation st to -ve 1 stop to darken the background when this duck flew past.

I had to pull the image out of the darkness a little, since the histogram stopped half way, (i.e. about 125 for the lightest part) but considering everything I did wrong, and starting with JPEG only, the result is surprising.

Attached Images

Views: 1,860
01-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #2

Great shot.....
I live on a lake and the geese are always there. Would love to see more egrets, blue herons, mallards, and wood ducks. I've got a 300mm zoom thats waiting for them. To me nature photography is way hard! They don't cooperate! HA!
01-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darn good effort Lowell. I go to our local pond to shoot BIFs and I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 keepers out of a couple of hundred tries. Have to keep trying!
01-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Darn good effort Lowell. I go to our local pond to shoot BIFs and I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 keepers out of a couple of hundred tries. Have to keep trying!
I/m not talking abouot 1-2 keepers out of many shots, this was it!

It was surprising actually,

aside from not being set up for the exposure when I had the chance for the shot, how easy it was to track and focus with an MF lens. Granted the left to right movement made for only minor changes in focus, but this lens has a 350 degree focus throw from min focus to infinity. I would have thought it would have been harder to track focus, but between starting at least close to focus (i did not need to aquire focus over 350 degrees) and having a split image, I think MF for a situation like this might actually be better than AF.

01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good one for a single MF attempt.
A little cool on the temperature of the image but looks decently sharp and well composed.
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good one for a single MF attempt.
A little cool on the temperature of the image but looks decently sharp and well composed.
do you prefer this better?

One click on the color balance, in PSP X2. I used the feathers around the blue wing bar as my reference

ps, it's amazing what you can do without RAW
Attached Images