Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Did I ever mention, That I Hate Snakes
Posted By: little laker, 06-23-2007, 06:40 PM

In all reality the snake in this picture is about 4 times it's actual size, although I still respected it

Views: 1,744
06-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stu,

I like snakes. Looks like a garter or ribbon (really the same thing) snake here.

Be grateful you don't live in Manitoba where these things den up in the 10's of thousands and fan out invading (infesting is a better term) homes in the areas of these dens.

Sssssssstephen
06-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stu, nice photo but please keep them were they are I don't need them. And please remind me not to move to Manitoba :-)

Take care. Heinrich
06-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your right Stephan, he is a garter. He'll reach about 2' long here, making him the smallest species of snake here.

Snakes basicly spend the winters here the same way as they do in Manitoba.

What they do differently is they spend most of their summers close to the mountains here spread out. And don't invade too many houses, although they've been known to.

The Black Widow spider is a bigger threat, being in all the crawl spaces here along with at least 10% of the closets. Although spiders don't bother me.

06-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Stu, nice photo but please keep them were they are I don't need them. And please remind me not to move to Manitoba :-)

Take care. Heinrich

Don't worry Heinrich, I'll keep them here

I respect just how useful they are. If you have a snake in your house you won't have a rodent problem.

Not to mention that I liked Manitoba when I was there. It isn't perfect, but I found that the people were friendly, and the parks are pretty.
If there were more lakes and mountains I probably wouldn't mind living there
06-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That looks so spooky. I would usually stay away from snakes. But nice shot though
06-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Beautiful shot Stu, I've been watching for a chance to photograph a snake for quite a while. Congrats!

06-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much. Snakes sure do make nice subjects.

I hope that you get your chance soon Scott
06-24-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice snake shot Stu. We've been told about those black widow spiders. The idea of them freaks my daughter out. We have a mobile home in Southern France and every time we go down there she makes us do a full cupboard and underbed search for scorpions (because we came across one or two in the past). I guess it's going to be a similar routine for the black widows when when we move to the Okanagan.

Paul
06-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Nice shot Stu. I like the non poisonous kind, and find them enjoyable to have around. For the most part our tenants have no idea that for the past 8 years we have been blessed with an eight foot black snake in the basement. I've seen him only once or twice but I find his skins every year in the rafters. I'm really glad he has made a home here. He keeps the other pests to a minimum. We also have quite a few water snakes around the house (because of the river). I'll take the snakes over the black widows anytime. (those critters are dangerous)
06-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Although Black Widows are poisonous I wouldn't really worry about them all that much Paul.

The main thing is keep a clean house. Those 10% of the houses where they hang out in the closets are just never swept or anything.

And I can't picture your daughter ever going in the crawl spaces unless there's an emergency.
Most people that live around here forget about them even existing and live a normal life never getting bitten

Your again a lucky man to have a snake that you never have to see in your place David
Although I wouldn't go for a swim with the water snakes there

I haven't swam in the river here since I saw a snake in it, although I still go swimming in the Okanagan Lake
06-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like snakes, hate spiders. Spiders make my skin crawl. I have a deal with the spiders in my house - if they stay in the crawl space or other places I don't go I will leave them alone to live in peace, if they come into my living space I will kill them on sight, even hunt them down and kill them where they live.
06-25-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
Forum Member

I have plenty of both spiders and snakes around my house (as evidenced by my Avatar, taken last summer on my front porch). I live on a wildlife refuge, and woods and wild critters abound. I have seen some interesting species around the house. My cat catches northern ringneck snakes, these poor beasts at birth are eaten by about everything including spiders because they are so small. I can't say I like either snakes or spiders, but I do try to give them all their space, and stay with the refuge part of the area I live in.