Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lake Superior in Winter.....
Lens: Various Camera: K20D & K10D Photo Location: Northern Wisconsin, U.S.A. ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: UpNorth, 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Usually at this time of year Lake Superior is frozen quite a ways out from shore. Went up to the cabin this past weekend, and it was only maybe 20 feet wide. The neat thing was that it appears that it had frozen a couple of inches thick, and then a storm must have come through, broke up the ice into very geometric shapes, and then thrown it up on shore. That's the thing with a lake this big - every time you look it's changed again.....
(And yes - the ice was THAT blue!)

As an added bonus, I even spotted a bald eagle. Of course, he'd only let me get so close before he took off - so this is seriously cropped.....

Tim

Attached Images

Views: 5,255
01-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful landscape! I think your photos are just a little underexposed,
but that can be adjusted in PP . That last one is impressing!
01-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rense.
While not great photos, the pictures do seem to have more "pop" when viewed "native" in Aperture on my home Mac, than when viewed on the Forum through my work PC. If I remember right, I think I overexposed at +1.0 - +1.5 to compensate for all the snow/ice reflection. Still maybe it wasn't enough.

Those eagles are tricky to catch. Been trying for several years now - as a pair have a nest not too far down the beach from our cabin - but they never let you get close enough (even with a 300mm) to get a really nice shot before they take off. And let's just say my BIF shots need a little more practice to perfect!

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Tim
01-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh my...I get cold just looking at all that ice I've never had the good fortune to find an Eagle to photograph... kudos

01-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jan.
They really are something to see - very large, beautiful birds - and their take-offs & landings really test the strength of some of those tree branches!

Tim
01-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just checking to see what the image looks like coming from Flickr, as opposed to pasting it directly into the post......

Last edited by UpNorth; 01-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.
01-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lake Superior

I worked on 135kv transmission line install in U.P. in '89. The Images remind me
of just how beautiful that area is.