Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pinhole Photography with the K10D
Posted By: betsypdx, 06-24-2007, 06:36 PM

I succumbed to the side effects of LBA and bought a pinhole body cap a week ago. I took it (along with three screwmount lenses) to Portland's Japanese Garden. Here's a few of the obligatory first shots.

First impressions - kind of soft and not good in low light situations (a tripod is a must).

Smooth transitions from in focus to out of focus areas (because nothing is in focus).

Great for finding dust specks on your sensor (I've cloned the obvious spot out of the other shots and will be getting out the rocket blower if the K10D dust removal doesn't work).

Not great for close ups and macros.

But fun nonetheless.

Hope you enjoyed. More here.
Views: 3,781
06-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He he, these look like crap.

I would suggest, if you want crappy-yet-artistic shots, to break open a cheap digicam and hold it up to the back of one of your film cameras.
06-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The waterfall looks interesting
I wouldn't mind seeing it in B&W betsypdx

Pinhole Photography is an art form and doesn't look right with everything
06-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think you got ripped off. The lens doesn't seem to want to focus to infinity. Everythings all blurry. I don't know if I'd show much of this in public. LOL

I really like the waterfall. It has a great painting like quality. I agree with Stu. this will take some experimenting to see what subjects work and what don't. Any Pin hole shots I've seen that looked good were generally B&W's. The colour saturation is really quite excellent with these. Could be very interesting with some street shots and winter scenes.

06-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
He he, these look like crap.

I would suggest, if you want crappy-yet-artistic shots, to break open a cheap digicam and hold it up to the back of one of your film cameras.
He he, you're right - twice! Done any more crappy (yet-artistic) shots from your contraption?

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The waterfall looks interesting
I wouldn't mind seeing it in B&W betsypdx

Pinhole Photography is an art form and doesn't look right with everything
A quick stab at a b&w version is even more atrocious than the color verson. I think you're absolutely right - it doesn't work with everything!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I think you got ripped off. The lens doesn't seem to want to focus to infinity. Everythings all blurry. I don't know if I'd show much of this in public. LOL

I really like the waterfall. It has a great painting like quality. I agree with Stu. this will take some experimenting to see what subjects work and what don't. Any Pin hole shots I've seen that looked good were generally B&W's. The colour saturation is really quite excellent with these. Could be very interesting with some street shots and winter scenes.
I think I'll keep on experimenting - seems you've got to get the right subject - aka, something that looks just fine blurry.
06-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think it's pretty darn cool actually!

I'm taking a wild stab at an idea from seeing these and that would be maybe try bulb exposure and try walking in and out of shots make it look all science fiction my camera couldn't focus old film big footish?

Just an idea!
06-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe you should have let Max use it?

(Kidding! Sheesh!)

06-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These might not look all that good but you could experiment with focal lenght by adding a short extension tube or making the hole a bit smaller with a piece of black tape. It could make a bit of difference whether you put the tape on the inside or outside of the pinhole body cap.

take care, Heinrich
06-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I saw one of these pinhole caps before and thought they looked fun! I like the waterfall shot the best out of the bunch. I wonder if you just need more practice with it to get something - anything - in focus.
06-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I think it's pretty darn cool actually!

I'm taking a wild stab at an idea from seeing these and that would be maybe try bulb exposure and try walking in and out of shots make it look all science fiction my camera couldn't focus old film big footish?

Just an idea!
LOL - I can take it into the woods with me - I live in Bigfoot country after all!
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Maybe you should have let Max use it?

(Kidding! Sheesh!)
Not bad - some more abstracts from Max. I made my first (and last) pinhole film camera when I was 11, so maybe I should wait a few years.
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
These might not look all that good but you could experiment with focal lenght by adding a short extension tube or making the hole a bit smaller with a piece of black tape. It could make a bit of difference whether you put the tape on the inside or outside of the pinhole body cap.

take care, Heinrich
Hmm - might have to buy extension tubes (see how one thing leads to another?). The hole is pretty tiny - it's through copper (?) or some other metal afixed to the back of the body cap, behind a hole drilled through the plastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I saw one of these pinhole caps before and thought they looked fun! I like the waterfall shot the best out of the bunch. I wonder if you just need more practice with it to get something - anything - in focus.
I bet you saw it at the same place I bought it - Blue Moon Camera. They have some kind of cool pinhole images (mostly shot on film, I believe) if you browse through their staff images. But, not a sharp one amongst the bunch!
06-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I think it may have been at Blue Moon... well, you're braver than I for picking one up! Keep playing with it! I'd love to see your other experiments!
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
They have some kind of cool pinhole images (mostly shot on film, I believe) if you browse through their staff images. But, not a sharp one amongst the bunch!
I'm wondering if the hole is too large now. If these caps are built for film cameras then the focal point is messed up. You might have to reduce the size by about 33% to compensate

I'd say try fiddling around with it first, but don't rule out the black tape trick that Heinrich suggested.
06-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm wondering if the hole is too large now. If these caps are built for film cameras then the focal point is messed up. You might have to reduce the size by about 33% to compensate

I'd say try fiddling around with it first, but don't rule out the black tape trick that Heinrich suggested.

Stu, wouldn't the focal point be in exactly the same place on a DSLR as a film camera? Otherwise a normal lens like am SMC M 50mm F1.4 etc wouldn't be able to focus to infinity particularly when wide open. I may be way off base but I was just considering those aftermarket screw mount adapters for M42 lenses that have a collar. It adds about 1/2mm between the lens and the mount and the lens can't focus to infinity. I'd guess the rear element of a lens, old or new, is exactly the same distance from the sensor as it was to the film plane. Of course with a pinhole you'd have a hard time telling since the whole point is to create this blurred effect anyway.
06-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't know how else to explain it Peter, all that I know is that a 50mm lens on a Digital SLR takes a picture that looks very much like a photograph using a 75mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

If you look in your operating manual on the bottom of the Camera Characteristics page (page 12 in the K100D book) it will explain this better than I can
06-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how else to explain it Peter, all that I know is that a 50mm lens on a Digital SLR takes a picture that looks very much like a photograph using a 75mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

If you look in your operating manual on the bottom of the Camera Characteristics page (page 12 in the K100D book) it will explain this better than I can
Stu I was referring to the focus point on the film/sensor plane in relation to the lens's rear element. Where the light converges to a focused image on the sensor or film. Not the 1.5 x crop factor that makes a 50mm = 75mm on a DSLR.