Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Interior Photo Shoot.
Posted By: Toshi, 06-25-2007, 10:38 PM

I am currently doing a website for my friend who has opened up a new Day Spa, and lucky for her (or me?) I'm into photography. So as a package I offered to take photos of her new shop. This is the first time doing an interior photo shoot (or any type of shoot) and it was a good chance to put my new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 Macro to the test.

*Had to edit the photos out cause of bandwidth issues. But you can check them out on this page*

Camera used was my *ist DS with Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro. All shots were at f/11 and above using a tripod and cable release from the Dicain grip. Only a slight overall RGB levels tweak and sharpen were done. Overall, I'm pleased with how the photos came out, what do you think?

Last edited by Toshi; 09-10-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Views: 1,863
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #2

Very nice work, Toshi!

Did you meter the scenes manually or did you let the camera handle the metering. In either case, the results are very natural and pleasing. Good stuff!

A circular polarizer may have reduced the reflections in the first photograph but it is good as it is.

Nikhil
06-25-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much Nikhil!

Metering for these photos were all done in Av mode (center-weighted), with some variations in EV +/- for safe measure.

A CP would definitely have helped control the reflections, but I have yet to purchase any filters for this lens (debating on a CP or ND). I tried various angles to cut down on the reflections and this was the best I could come up with, especially since you can still get a pretty good glimpse inside of the shop.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my photos!
06-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Excellent series, those shots all make the shop look very inviting. The exterior shot is great, you chose a good light for it.

06-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots, definitely able to tell a good amount about the place from your photos.
06-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Excellent series, those shots all make the shop look very inviting. The exterior shot is great, you chose a good light for it.
Thanks Scott. Luckily it was a clear day and I waited until sundown to get better light and show off the lighting of the shop

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Great shots, definitely able to tell a good amount about the place from your photos.
Thanks a lot Chris, appreciate you looking and commenting.
06-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They're perfect Toshi

There's 1 thing that I'd do differently, and that is take the top picture from the opposite angle. Or at least try.
My reasoning for that is I believe that her sign will be a little easier recognized.

Just my 2 cents worth

06-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They're perfect Toshi

There's 1 thing that I'd do differently, and that is take the top picture from the opposite angle. Or at least try.
My reasoning for that is I believe that her sign will be a little easier recognized.

Just my 2 cents worth
Thanks Stu.

Hehe, I was wondering if someone would mention that. The reason I choose this angle was because there were two big power lines that got in the way. I really did want the sign to be more legible, but this was the best option under the circumstances.
06-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

they are all well exposed.

You need a slightly wider angle to better show each rooms' scene, or better cropping. They all seem a bit compressed, window frame-like.

The first photo is, for marketing purposes, terrible. It's not showing anything off.

Also, for me, some of them may come alive, or 'pop' with a person in them or other obvious human element: a robe, a towel, a drink, some fruit on the bar, etc.
06-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Toshi,

There's a beautiful old building that I want to photograph with the powerline problem you mentioned

I thought up a technique, that I haven't had the time to try it yet.

What I'm thinking of trying is set the camera on a level tripod. Take a picture, then raise the camera around 3" straight up.
Snap another picture, then rise the camera up again.
Do this at least 1 more time.

Then in photoshop or whatever your using to layer the pictures.
Line everything up as good as you can and with a little luck you should be able to blend them together hiding the power lines.

If you have a chance to try this technique before I do please let me know how it works.
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
they are all well exposed.

You need a slightly wider angle to better show each rooms' scene, or better cropping. They all seem a bit compressed, window frame-like.

The first photo is, for marketing purposes, terrible. It's not showing anything off.

Also, for me, some of them may come alive, or 'pop' with a person in them or other obvious human element: a robe, a towel, a drink, some fruit on the bar, etc.
Donald, thank you for your criticism.

All the service areas are in one large room. I shot at 18mm which is the widest angle I have. I cropped appropriately to show each service area without overlapping the other service areas.

For a front of the shop photo, this was unfortunately the best angle without distractions like I mentioned above. However, I have another shot I did take with the power line in the way, and although I am not good at post processing, I will try to post process it out since it shows the sign more prominently.

For the interior shots, I opted not to include people so that the aesthetics would be the main focus. However, your thought on additional props are a good idea. The human element would have been great for service photos, but again as I mentioned, no one was available at the time.

You seem to have experience with interior commercial photos. Do you have any samples that you have taken so I could get a better idea for next time?

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Toshi,

There's a beautiful old building that I want to photograph with the powerline problem you mentioned

I thought up a technique, that I haven't had the time to try it yet.

What I'm thinking of trying is set the camera on a level tripod. Take a picture, then raise the camera around 3" straight up.
Snap another picture, then rise the camera up again.
Do this at least 1 more time.

Then in photoshop or whatever your using to layer the pictures.
Line everything up as good as you can and with a little luck you should be able to blend them together hiding the power lines.

If you have a chance to try this technique before I do please let me know how it works.
Stu,

I'm not that great at post processing (layers, etc.) but I'll give it a shot with the photo I currently have with the power line in the way. If I can get a good result with it, I'll post it up

Toshi
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, reworked one of the photos.

Before :

After :

First time trying to edit a photo like this.
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
Inactive Account

You really convey the vibe and atmosphere of the place quite nicely! Well-composed and exposed!
06-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

What can I say Toshi, other than Very Impressive

Thanks for taking the effort and posting the results
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are all great shots. Very well done. Your shots make me want to go there!!

Your editing of the one shot is excellent. It is much nicer without the wires cutting across the frame. Well done.