Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait of the artist as a...
Posted By: Nixarma, 06-25-2007, 10:40 PM

I was at Canter's (a famous deli in Los Angeles) with a couple of friends on Saturday... our waitress was Janie Kelly... very friendly and a really nice person.

I had my Contax G2 on the table and she asked if I was a photographer... I told her that photography was my great passion, along with music... turns out that she's trying to establish herself as a singer-songwriter... I don't particularly care for her style of music, but I readily acknowledge and respect the amount of effort it takes.

Aspiring singer... aspiring photographer... The G2 was loaded with 100 speed film and the lighting indoors was quite poor, so I used my trusty K100D + 77mm combo to make this quick photograph before she had to run along and take care of people at other tables... the other staff were starting to give her dirty looks already.

Comments welcome!
Nikhil

Last edited by Nixarma; 06-25-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Views: 1,859
06-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done, as always, Nikhil - although I'm not used to seeing people smiling in your wonderfully moody shots. I can appreciate the aspiring musician bit - in high school I pictured myself with dark glasses and a tenor sax in New York. Didn't happen, but - hey - I thought about it and still take DownBeat.

Jer
06-26-2007, 10:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your kinds comments (as always), Jer!

I'm not really used to photographing people smiling - but I had just a few moments to put the horseradish aside, grab the camera out of the bag, position her in the next booth (thankfully vacant) and photograph her smiling as she wished.

It's kinda hard to make cheerful people appear to have existential dilemmas so I didn't force it

You still play and that's the important thing, isn't it? I think sometimes it is better to allow our passions their purity and let the money muddy our "professions". I'm currently conflcted about photography. I used to want to do the rock 'n roll (ok... extreme metal) thing... but I was thankfully divested of those notions. I still work with music everyday in my job designing audio gear and I like this side of the "business" better.

I love this Hunter Thompson quote:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. "

Thanks for always taking the time to leave a comment

Nikhil
06-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

A nice portrait with a nice story as well.
Maybe nothing too special but a delight. You got her name and number as I understand it? So, now we know who will take the pictures for her first album!

06-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Jonas,

Nothing too special for sure... in fact, I find several things that I would have done differently to make a better photograph... the first would have been to get her out of that wretched light... but how everything unfolded was fun, and a pleasant surprise.

A friend of mine got her name (and autograph... he told her that he would sell it on eBay when she got famous... she said to give it one year, haha) but in his infinite wisdom got neither her phone number nor her email address. She probably didn't want to give it out in case he turned out to be a stalker... the probability of which is REALLY high in LA.

The ones that I have been more pleased about are the two photographs in this thread... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/8576-two-cafe.html

Thanks for writing,
Nikhil