Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Detailed examinations
Camera: K200D Photo Location: Around the garden ISO: 200 Aperture: F22 
Posted By: MoiVous, 01-26-2010, 04:00 AM

I recently acquired a mint set of Pentax Auto Extension tubes (from the market place - thanks Kirby) and a nice new Metz 48AF1 flash.

My initial attempts were encouraging (refinement needed with both the flash and the tubes) - but I was excited by the prospect.

So, as part of my local camera club assignment, I decided to try macro around the garden. Flowers dominate - they don't move much!

The set up was initially:
  • Sigma 28-70 f2.8 lens (to give me a bit of focusing scope as I don't have the macro rails yet).
    • Most shots were between 50 and 70mm focal length - so between 0.5x and 0.35x magnification I think
    • such a physically large lens makes it almost impossible to get close below 50mm
  • manual mode on the camera
    • generally 1/60 or 1/90 exposure
    • aperture set to f22 for reasonable DOF
  • a 26mm tube
  • the Metz flash with the bounce screen extended and at 45 degrees - in pTTL mode
  • tripod & mirror lock up

These are the initial results - click the images to access the full image

Overall, I think it worked reasonably well. The DOF is almost there - just need a macro rail, a right angle finder to help me achieve finer control and maybe a bigger bounce card.

As always, comments and criticism welcome.

Thanks for looking

Cheers
Views: 1,260