Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some Scenes from Malaga Province Spain
Posted By: channeler, 01-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Not posted any images for a while. Last twelve months has been an unsettling time. Finally heard that we weren't accepted for Canadian Immigration; 2 points short on the application system (hard to get all the points you need when you reach our ripe old age). So we found it difficult to settle back into life in England. We decided to try living in Spain and rented a "finca" (country house), about 25 mins inland from the coast near Alhaurin el Grande planning to stay for 11 months. Here are a few photos that I took while we were there.

The house was in one and a half acres. Beautiful views across to mountains and forest. We found a lot of houses had been given planning permission by the local council, only for the Regional Government in Seville to come along later and say they were illegal, sometimes requiring them to be demolished. There was a prison a few miles down the road from us and quite a few of the local mayors were guests there. A helicopter frequently flew up and down the valley apparently tring to spot illegal builds.

The house had a nice swimming pool. I had to maintain it which was a steep learning curve. Also learnt that swimming isn't quite like riding a bike ie: once learnt never forgotten. Went under the first time I tried to swim in this pool after 10 years.

Ronda, a very interesting town perched high up in the mountains.

A sleepy local inhabitant

Benalmadena Marina

Frigiliana, near Nerja. A picturesque village up in the mountains.

The climate and scenery were beautiful, though Eileen, my wife, found it a little too hot at times. It was often over 37 C in the shade. The well started to become a problem with the water often cutting out. It seemed the walls were collapsing. The electricity supply drove us mad as well. You never knew if dinner would cook without the oven cutting out. You could actually hear the microwave speeding up and slowing down with the variation in the electricity supply. Had to finish some oven chips on the barbecue one night; not a great success. The tv often switched off mid programme. So after 4 months we decided to cut our stay short and came back to England. Now doing all the work on our house that we had been putting off.

Paul

Last edited by channeler; 01-26-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Views: 2,590
01-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a beautiful place, though.
01-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Forum Member

Very nice! The architecture there is beautiful, as well as the scenery.

I wonder if you could chalk up your "sinking like a stone" to a change in your density in the last 10 years? Even losing 5 or 10 lbs of weight can be enough to make you float *alot* lower in the water.
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Looks like a beautiful place, though.
Yes it is a beautiful place. I do miss the scenery and climate. Another bonus was the light. So much brighter than the UK. Here I have to use quite a high ISO setting for many months of the year.

Paul

QuoteOriginally posted by knochelbiter Quote
Very nice! The architecture there is beautiful, as well as the scenery.

I wonder if you could chalk up your "sinking like a stone" to a change in your density in the last 10 years? Even losing 5 or 10 lbs of weight can be enough to make you float *alot* lower in the water.
No, don't think my problem can be attributed to extra density, though I dare say I am a few pounds heavier now. Yes there was a lot of nice scenery and architecture. Lots of wildlife to photograph too especially birds, though I didn't get around to it during the months we were there. It was a novelty waking up and looking out of the bedroom window to see rabbits playing in the rockery. Had swallows skimming the swimming pool and had to evict a rat that took up residence in the filter house.

Paul