Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Don't underestimate the power of 1600 iso
Camera: K20d Photo Location: Memphsis Smoke, Royal Oak, MI ISO: 1600 
Posted By: Hey Elwood, 01-28-2010, 12:21 AM

Hi everyone,

Well, when I'm wrong I'm willing to admit it. For a while now I believed that Pentax was inferior compared to Cannon and Nikon but I was proven wrong.

I met a great blues artist on named Paul Miles on the streets in Royal Oak where he likes to preform. Since I love blues music and I swing dance to it all the time, I was naturally drawn to him. Well, I happened to have my trusty k20d with me so I asked him if I could photograph him and he politely said yes.

After reviewing my photos he decided he wanted to use my photos for his upcoming album "Blue Collar Man". I agreed to get him the photos and the album looks great if I don't say so myself.

In any case, Paul was heading down to Memphsis, TN to compete in the International Blue Challange and he wanted me to MC his "Send-off" party. While I was there, I pulled out my k20d again and started shooting. I kept shooting with my flash because it was extremely dark at Memphsis Smoke (a blues bar).

Well, I decided I was going to try shooting at 1600 iso just for the heck of it (I wanted to see what kind of results I could get). I was extremely surprised with the results. I ended up shooting the rest of the night at 1600 WITH NO FLASH.

For the situation, I think the photos came out great. Let me know what you think.

Views: 1,791
01-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Good stuff, congratulations on the album cover. Who knows what opportunity a chance meeting might bring.

The pictures look really good but I'm seeing a bit of a yellowish cast mainly in the first three (probably the stage lights but correctable).
01-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Most impressive! Those look great, I like the tones and I think the yellowish cast adds a nice warm ambience.
01-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are great! I love pictures of musicians that can really play, rather than jump up and down with guitars in their hands.

Great job - congrats on the album cover.

Jer

01-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I noticed the yellow casts too (and they were from the parcan stage lights. I will go back and correct them but I wanted to show what the camera recorded. The only thing I did was a little fill work (not much) on some, add some punch and sharpen them a little in Lightroom. The rest was all in camera.
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, especially the first one. I can feel the music.
01-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Great capture of the energy!

01-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I noticed the yellow casts too (and they were from the parcan stage lights. I will go back and correct them but I wanted to show what the camera recorded. The only thing I did was a little fill work (not much) on some, add some punch and sharpen them a little in Lightroom. The rest was all in camera.
I wouldn't normally mention the cast, stage lights are stage lights but it does give them a jaundiced look IMO.
01-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the blues and I love these shots...Kudos on the album cover!!!
01-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Photos with it's story... "That's the way I like it"

Great shots and congrats about the cover