Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Incorruptable
Camera: K-7/K20D Photo Location: Lorton, VA ISO: 800 
Posted By: mel, 01-28-2010, 05:22 AM

This is one of my regular gigs. I do the production shots for the theatre performances at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton, VA (USA). This particular company is a student company. They audition for it late summer and work, learn, and perform several times during the year, until the next time for auditions.

The shoot is of the final run-through/dress rehearsal. The performance is inside an art gallery set up with stage lighting etc. For the shoot I was allowed to move around on staging area with the actors as the director trusts me to not interfere, get in the way and to be otherwise stealthy. I had two cameras, a K20D and a K-7, with the DA*50-135 and 16-50. I had one run through to do this, had not seen the play before nor had I a chance to read the script ahead of time. So it's go in and shoot cold, not knowing what was going to happen when and trying to anticipate the action/scenes.

The shots are used for record-keeping, promotional purposes, printing in their publications, and for sale to the families/actors/ others that may want them (that's done through me directly and I profit from that).

So here's a few. I'm just picking from the handful I posted on my flickr.

Views: 1,615
01-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great series Mel...they’re excellent...could never tell you went in cold!
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice job, Mel. The technical difficulties in getting shots like these must be considerable.

Jer
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shooting Mel! Congratulations on a great series.

01-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. I really enjoy doing stuff like this and my client is always happy so that's good. There are technical difficulties but it gets easier each time. Having two cameras with good lenses helps. The first time I shot one inside this gallery I shot the entire thing with a Super Takumar 55/1.8. Manual all the way. It's much much easier with these lenses.

Thanks for having a look.
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great job here Mel... These things are really hard to shoot and get interesting angles and you've done well. It's nice that you can move around and get in close. I really like the lighting and tones in the first one. And the framing and composition in the last one really works to tell the story. Oh, and I love the expression on the boy's face in the 4th shot (the one with the skeleton on the table).

Mike
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are difficult to shoot no matgter who or what equipment. Well done Mel. JIM

01-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

Excellent work.

JMR
01-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike, Jimbo and JMR. I can't take any responsibilty for the lighting. I'm just recording. This is the first time I've shot one of these with anything shorter than a 50mm so it was kind of fun see how much I could squeeze in and working different angles with the 16-50