Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Flowers are blooming in the yard! (lots of pics)
Posted By: codiac2600, 06-26-2007, 08:38 PM

Well I decided to go through all my old photos and process stuff I didn't feel was good enough the first time through and here are the ones that I felt were ok this time around.

BTW, I picked up a 500gig external HD the other day... put all my RAW files on it and I only have 249 gigs left!! Argh I take too many pictures and I've only had my K10D since february... almost 30000 actuations!

I hope you enjoyed and these may be the runts of the litter from my shooting, but they still look nice, maybe I'm being hard on myself like always. C&C is always welcome and enjoy!
Views: 1,622
06-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I like the first one, the out of focus area inside the flower gives it interest and makes the stoma standout well. What lenses were used, I suppose that info would be annoying to dig up. I'm still waiting on getting my K10D, probably a few weeks away now but we have no flowers here anyway I left them in Christchurch!!

Tim H
06-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

some nice shots here, the rosebud has exquisite figure-gound.

It looks like you are cropping to fit a format. 2,4,6,7 are nicely framed in the picture plane, why the others have parts of the flower cropped away is strange. 8 would be fine if the background subject were all there; 9 is evidence that photographers need to look through the viewfinder at other than what they think is the main subject: the little stalk is distractingly just as much the subject as glistening water on petals.
06-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I like the first one, the out of focus area inside the flower gives it interest and makes the stoma standout well. What lenses were used, I suppose that info would be annoying to dig up. I'm still waiting on getting my K10D, probably a few weeks away now but we have no flowers here anyway I left them in Christchurch!!

Tim H
Thanks for the comment Tim and I'm sorry about not having many flowers to shoot, they are probably the easiest thing to photograph since people tend to run and other animals run faster than people. Good job on the K10D you'll be very happy!

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
some nice shots here, the rosebud has exquisite figure-gound.

It looks like you are cropping to fit a format. 2,4,6,7 are nicely framed in the picture plane, why the others have parts of the flower cropped away is strange. 8 would be fine if the background subject were all there; 9 is evidence that photographers need to look through the viewfinder at other than what they think is the main subject: the little stalk is distractingly just as much the subject as glistening water on petals.
Thank you Donald and it's tough to frame things in the garden because there is just sooooo much packed into it. Probably have 50 to 60 different flowers all in the same area and when I finally get a good lighting shot or angle there are intruders so I try to make my main subject stand out by filling the frame with it and since I don't usually PP in photoshop strays get left in here and there. I may have a shot of #9 thats wider out and I'll see what that looks like. I have a bad habit of not checking around my subject when it comes to plants since I take these for my mom in her garden and the space is so tight it's not even worth trying to find a clear spot to shoot.

06-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the bottom one Chris, just because of the way the waters beading on the flower.

I'll hopefully be getting a macro lens in July. If it happens I can sure learn a lot from you and 35mmfilm user
06-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I like the bottom one Chris, just because of the way the waters beading on the flower.

I'll hopefully be getting a macro lens in July. If it happens I can sure learn a lot from you and 35mmfilm user
Hey Stu thanks for stopping by and yes by all means get a macro lens, but for these shots it wasn't a typical macro lens but actually the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 macro LD AS IF blah blah long name lens

Anytime you want to talk technique let me know, but I'll warn you I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll always lend some tips to anyone willing to know a few worth-while pointers. I'm actually in the process of learning a new technique thats actually an old technique so be ready for some cooler macros prolly in the next month or so because I have some stuff up my sleeve.
06-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris, I'm really looking forward to seeing your next generation macro's

I hope that it's a fun technique to use as well

06-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice series here Chris. The rosebud is really happening!
06-27-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks Chris, I'm really looking forward to seeing your next generation macro's

I hope that it's a fun technique to use as well
Hey Stu I have part one of my Macro tips up on my blog so check it out if you get a chance.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Nice series here Chris. The rosebud is really happening!
Thank you Alvin!