Early Row
Posted By: Jimbo, 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Views: 3,274
01-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Both look great to me, JIMBO. You da man and you groovin'. I do like the results of Dave's suggestion a bit better.

Jer

Thanks Jer. JIM

QuoteQuote:
It's a fine shot Jim, just as it is. Outstanding in fact. I don't understand why so many people get hung up on slight areas of so-called over or under exposure, rather than what the image conveys, the aesthetics. How can one help the author improve that. I don't see any over exposure, just a photo capturing light elements because they are light! In the second image you lose some detail in the dark areas, so it's up to you. If you really want to darken the sky and retain the shadows, use the lasso to highlight the sky areas and slightly darken that area only.

I like the fact the boater is slightly off centre and leaves a water trail in his wake. It conveys where he came from and where he is headed.

I have ony one small issue to raise and that is a small brown element, perhaps a leaf(?), at the bottom of the frame, as it seems to draw a lot of attention to itself. I seldom recommend cloning out areas, but if it is small enough and doesn't hurt or substantially alter the integrity of the image, then it is something to consider. Alternately, a crop above leaf will accomplish the same thing. But it is small thing, because this is a fine image, IMO!

JMR
Thanks JMR. I spotted the leave and wasn't sure I wanted to crop. I crop dodge it out. You are right on the right. I was trying to balance the image throughout and it is still not completed. Cheers and thank you again. JIM

01-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more attempt at PPing this photo. JMR, got rid of the leaf in the front and brought out some of the shadows in the upper right corner and then added a little contrast to the water. JIM

01-30-2010, 05:23 AM   #18
JMR
Veteran Member

It looks great. As I said, I also like the light version. Did you notice the little element on the left border centre, where the hill reflection meets the frame. It's really spectacular.

JMR
01-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Very nice photo Jim!
Great elements here.
Don't know you but i would maybe crop it a bit from bottom.

01-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It looks great. As I said, I also like the light version. Did you notice the little element on the left border centre, where the hill reflection meets the frame. It's really spectacular.

JMR
Thanks JMR

QuoteQuote:
Very nice photo Jim!
Great elements here.
Don't know you but i would maybe crop it a bit from bottom.
Thanks Joni. I really like the foreground on this one. I will try a crop too though. JIM
01-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Another one with a slight crop[ and dropped the brightness a little. Thanks for everyones imput. JIM
01-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I really like this last version. Wonderful green reflection also on the water!

01-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
really like this last version. Wonderful green reflection also on the water
Me too Joni. Thanks for the suggestion on the crop. I also lowered the brightness too which I think helped. JIM
01-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
One more attempt at PPing this photo. JMR, got rid of the leaf in the front and brought out some of the shadows in the upper right corner and then added a little contrast to the water. JIM

This one is perfect!

Jer
01-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
This one is perfect!

Jer
Thanks Jer. Its a tie between that one and the first one. JIM
01-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

You are just full of surprises Jim...I like it
01-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #27

the processing on the last version is my favorite... did you just play with the contrast curve a bit? wonder how this would look as a 1 shot psuedo hdr to get the highs and lows details out without the blown out looks near the tops of the mountains? just a thought.
01-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You are just full of surprises Jim...I like it
Thanks Jan. JIM

QuoteQuote:
the processing on the last version is my favorite... did you just play with the contrast curve a bit? wonder how this would look as a 1 shot psuedo hdr to get the highs and lows details out without the blown out looks near the tops of the mountains? just a thought.
I have never tried a true HDR though using the ND's are considering a early version of HDR. I could have used a ND4 here for the sky line or elimanated it all together. JIM
« The Master | Paris »