Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Flelvia!!!(Now with new scans)
Posted By: Vertex Ninja, 06-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Edit: Attached a new scan made with my new Nikon V.

My K10D has made me fall in love with photography, so much so, that I decided to purchase a ZX-L film camera. This is my first film camera of my own. Yeah I know, I went the reverse route of most people. I purchased it used from B&H along with a roll of Velvia 100f to make sure the camera worked.

OH MY!!! I've heard there is nothing like looking at a good slide on a light table, but I never quite understood why this would be better than digital on a computer monitor... all I can say is wow, I have seen the light(pun intended)!!! Now there's only one problem, getting the slides to scan with even half the "pop" of the original. Here is one picture that I scanned in before deciding I needed a new scanner. Just wanted to share my excitement. I'll be back with more once I can get the quality where I want it, and I'm open to any suggestions on a decent priced scanner with good quality(currently I have an old Epson2400).

Taken with ZX-L, AF360, and Viv S1 105 @ f11

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 07-08-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: New Scans
Views: 3,895
06-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That is amazing! Definitely needs to be up on Pentax Photo Gallery or some gallery somewhere. I know my macros and you've got a high quality winner here.
06-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, thanks Codiac. From you, that means a lot. You take great photos.
06-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
Wow, thanks Codiac. From you, that means a lot. You take great photos.
Just Luck Ninja trust me, I'm learning everyday and it's much more work that I hoped for, but it's actually one of the things that keeps me going at it is that challenge of how good can one improve on the same shot.

I'm actually going to try to post a Macro Technique on my blog later tonight or tomorrow so if there is something I can pass on it'll be there but from this shot I'm thrilled and excited to go out and shoot something as good out in the field. Those colors are fantastic and you have a wonderful composition with nothing but plant and insect which is very hard to do.

06-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The color, the detail, the composition, just magical. And not to mention the courage to go to film.

You rocked it out with that shot man.
06-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That photo is out of this world , my friend !!! Good job :-)
06-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Really great shot! Lots of "pop!"

06-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice work. Welcome to "the past". My suggestion would be to get a dedicated 35mm film scanner like the Nikon Coolscan V ED or better. To get the best results, use Vuescan or Silverfast software as opposed to the Nikon software. Another learning curve to climb...
06-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey Vertex, would you be so kind as to do a test. Since like you I started in the digital age, I was wondering would you be willing to take a picture of the same thing, like that flower, one with digital and one with film and post them? Use the same setup of course, lighting, tripod, the whole nine and do no post processing no it and post the results. I would love to see a side by side comparison.
06-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Beautiful photo VN, and I agree with Chris that photo does belong in the Pentax Gallery or something like that
06-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I wanted to see how Velvia would render a blueish purple Aster(pinkish purple ) and this fly landed on it. I thought wow, what a great color combination. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. The fly was even considerate enough to pose for me.

Codiac: Thanks but now you're just being modest.

Buddha: Thanks and I've already somewhat done a comparison. I just need a good scanner to make it a fair fight. At first glance I'd say the slides look a little more detailed but this could just be me being dazzled by how bright they are on a light table. Pretty comparable to the k10D overall. I'll post the pics when I get a new scanner.

dantuyhoa: Thank you, much appreciated.
l
Alvin: Thanks I giggled like a little girl(I'm a 27 yr old male) when I pulled them out of the sleeves.

PeterAM: Thanks, I'm so retro cool. I appreciate the suggestion, the Nikons are on my list. I can't help but wonder if I should get a new flatbed in case I pick up a larger format camera down the line(CBA). Best quality at 35mm or the jack of all trades? Hmmm... another decision make.

little laker: Thank you, I'll give it a shot once I rescan it.

Thanks again everyone.
06-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
and
Veteran Member

Thats a really exquisite shot! I love the colors especially! Id say that has more than eanough pop already and you say the scanner is no good? you mean it actually gets better? cant wait to see that
06-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And:
Thanks so much.

I'm a digital artist, so I do a lot of pixel peeping on everything I work on. Nasty habit. This scan is OK, but after looking at the slide I know it can be better, much better in my opinion. That will eat at me(little OCD) until I get it the closet to perfect I can without having to sell an organ to pay scanning fees.
06-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
And:
Thanks so much.

I'm a digital artist, so I do a lot of pixel peeping on everything I work on. Nasty habit. This scan is OK, but after looking at the slide I know it can be better, much better in my opinion. That will eat at me(little OCD) until I get it the closet to perfect I can without having to sell an organ to pay scanning fees.
It's a wonderful shot, but don't give up your musical career just for us!
06-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scottax1 Quote
It's a wonderful shot, but don't give up your medical career just for us!
Ha ha thanks, but I meant the other kind of organ(bodily)!