Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Houston Auto Show
Lens: 15 mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Frigid Houston TX ISO: 800 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-30-2010, 06:24 PM

After looking at some exceptionally cool and creative photos while perusing the recent postings this evening, I feel almost embarrassed to tack on some pretty pedestrian images I took earlier today at Houston's rather minor auto show - still, maybe some of the car guys will like 'em. All of these were shot at ISO 800 and (I think) with my DA 15; as always in situations like this, the white balance drives me nuts.

Jer

Audi's amazing R8 - note my wife (in the upper right corner) studying the price tag (US $163,000), clearly an academic execise.

Rear shot of the R8, in which the V-10 is just visible:

The new Camaro modified with a Hennessey supercharger - making 655 HP:

Jag's sexy new XJ:

Nissan's fast but chunky-looking GT-R (my wife asked whether it was a car or a large vacuum cleaner):

A not-too-sharp picture of the voluptuous mid-engine Lotus Evora that'll be on the market in the next couple of months. It's gorgeous, but retains that kit car look that seems to accompany Lotus models:

Views: 3,172
01-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series Jer as for the Audi just keep the boxster handy the wife will have to wait Im afraid .Love the lense its brillant even when high ISO is used TFS

cheers
01-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

These are very clear for ISO 800. The R8 is a stunning motor vehicle.

Nice shots & thanks for sharing.
01-31-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Have to go with the Lotus then the Audi. Then again up here the driving season for those type of vehicles is too short to justify that cost, still one can dream about dropping that kind of coin just cuase .

I like the shots you post from 15 .... makes me think if I ever turn into a prime guy that one is high on the list.

01-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Come on Jer. Just trade your porsche in on that beauty. I am sure it will be just a few 1000 more?!!! JIM
01-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Nice series Jer as for the Audi just keep the boxster handy the wife will have to wait Im afraid .Love the lense its brillant even when high ISO is used TFS

cheers
Thanks, my friend - I'm truly enjoying my DA 15; it always seems to perform well. The Boxster's place in the garage is in no danger - heck you can't even put the top down on the Audi .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
These are very clear for ISO 800. The R8 is a stunning motor vehicle.

Nice shots & thanks for sharing.
Thanks much - I've always been happy with my K20D at ISO 800. And you're dead right - the R8 is a knockout.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Have to go with the Lotus then the Audi. Then again up here the driving season for those type of vehicles is too short to justify that cost, still one can dream about dropping that kind of coin just cuase .

I like the shots you post from 15 .... makes me think if I ever turn into a prime guy that one is high on the list.
Hey, thanks Dave. As I said above, this little lens seems to be a winner - and it's great for things like auto shows.

BTW, you're an economical fellow; the Lotus (73,000 USD) is less than half the cost of the Audi. If you decide to trade for one, let me know and I'll help you pick out the color.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Come on Jer. Just trade your porsche in on that beauty. I am sure it will be just a few 1000 more?!!! JIM
Hey Buddy - I'm just a poor boy tryin' to make good. I leave the R8 for the other half - rich guys like you.

Jer
01-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That 15mm is sure is a nice lens....nice...colors....nice shots

01-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm just a poor boy tryin' to make good. I leave the R8 for the other half - rich guys like you.
I am looking for a old Jeep for going out to find new places to take photo's. One if it breaks down you can almost leave it. I bet you would look good this that Audi though. JIM
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
That 15mm is sure is a nice lens....nice...colors....nice shots
Thanks, ESC. I've got all five of the DA Limiteds, but I think I love this one the most.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I am looking for a old Jeep for going out to find new places to take photo's. One if it breaks down you can almost leave it. I bet you would look good this that Audi though. JIM
You know, old buddy, I've always had a hankering for a Jeep Wrangler. Makes no sense at all, since I've spent my life (and my money) with fast street cars, and the back woods - for me - is where the bars have only a limited gin selection. Still, I like that dang thing, and spent some time looking at one at the auto show.

I can't wait to see the shots you'll get when you further penetrate the wilderness.

Jer
01-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonderful captures jer..... nice perspectives, colors spot on.... now i have to clean the drool from my keyboard...... dave m
01-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #11

I'm loving the engine bay shot!

Now to replicate it in my garage...
01-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just a update here in the land of milk and honey (Oz) the same Audi retails for over AU$300000 whos ripping who off

cheers
02-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos Jer!
Looks like you handled the difficult lighting and white balance issues well. Thanks for showing
Love the colour you've got on that GTR, although it is a bit intense. I need to get my DA15 soon...
02-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
wonderful captures jer..... nice perspectives, colors spot on.... now i have to clean the drool from my keyboard...... dave m
Thanks much, Dave.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by phillipb Quote
I'm loving the engine bay shot!

Now to replicate it in my garage...
Thanks buddy - I'm betting that orange Camaro will go like stink.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Just a update here in the land of milk and honey (Oz) the same Audi retails for over AU$300000 whos ripping who off

cheers
Holy Cow, cupic - makes owning a Porsche seem like an act of real economy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Nice photos Jer!
Looks like you handled the difficult lighting and white balance issues well. Thanks for showing
Love the colour you've got on that GTR, although it is a bit intense. I need to get my DA15 soon...
I appreciate the nice words, Jason. Given a lot of the stuff you shoot, I'm betting you'd love this little lens.

Jer