Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Posted By: Petermgr, 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM

He caused a lot of commotion when he ascended . . .

A large flock of finches feeding on a nearby tree exploded in retreat when this guy came into view. He was only there for about 20 seconds, but enough time to capture him with my telephoto.

Thanks for looking!

Peter

Views: 1,682
01-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice capture. But are you sure in your identification? It looks just like the one I took today which is a Cooper's Hawk. A Cooper's Hawk's head is larger than the Sharp - Shinned Hawk.

Here's a discription of Sharp-Shinned Hawk from Cornell's bird identification book online:

Sharp-shinned Hawk, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
01-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Nice capture. But are you sure in your identification? It looks just like the one I took today which is a Cooper's Hawk. A Cooper's Hawk's head is larger than the Sharp - Shinned Hawk.

Here's a discription of Sharp-Shinned Hawk from Cornell's bird identification book online:

Sharp-shinned Hawk, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Thanks photolady,

I'm quite sure it is a Sharp-shinned Hawk. They are common in this area (southern interior of British Columbia) and they tend to follow the migration of the sparrows and finches. Apparently they are difficult to identify when comparing to the Cooper's Hawk, however the Cooper's Hawk have a quite a long tail, where this one does not.

Regardless, it sure is a nice treat to see one so close

Peter
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just wondered cause yours looks a lot like mine but the description I'm seeing at Cornell on the Sharp-Shinned, shows an orangish breast, and mine doesn't have an orangish breast.

Here's the link to mine. Perhaps it is the same bird.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/88684-nature-coopers-hawk-i-think.html

01-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ha! Ha! The debate rages on! Sharp-shinned...Coopers...Sharp-shinned...Coopers...

There was a thread on this site a couple of years ago regarding a similar bird photographed in southern Ontario. The discussion carried on for some weeks with the final vote going to Coopers.

In my part of the world Coopers are more common, but Sharp-shinned are also part of the mix for most of the year. The expert birders in my group of friends are usually shy of doing an ID between the two species based on a single photo alone. Based on the relatively short, squared-off tail my vote goes to Sharp-shinned.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-30-2010 at 09:12 PM.
01-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sharp looking Sharp-shinned Hawk. The squared tail gives it away
01-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! The debate rages on! Sharp-shinned...Coopers...Sharp-shinned...Coopers...

There was a thread on this site a couple of years ago regarding a similar bird photographed in southern Ontario. The discussion carried on for some weeks with the final vote going to Coopers.

In my part of the world Coopers are more common, but Sharp-shinned are also part of the mix for most of the year. The expert birders in my group of friends are usually shy of doing an ID between the two species based on a single photo alone. Based on the relatively short, squared-off tail my vote goes to Sharp-shinned.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

Think it's great that we (photolady and I) got some good closeups. Sure wouldn't want to guess these breeds from a distance!

Peter

01-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Sharp looking Sharp-shinned Hawk. The squared tail gives it away
Thanks Jan