Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
North Carolina Snow
Lens: 50-135, others Camera: K-7, K200D 
Posted By: arpaagent, 01-31-2010, 02:08 PM

So it snowed quite a bit in the eastern US the past couple of days. I live in Raleigh, NC, and we got 4-6 inches of snow and sleet (OK, not much by northern standards...but only see snow once or twice a year around here!). It snowed overnight on January 29-30, and sleeted for most of the day on January 30. I went out for a walk with my wife to see what people were out doing.

This was during sleet and snow, so I'm thankful that I could have my K-7 out there with the DA* 50-135 on it since they are weathersealed. It was coming down pretty hard, you can see it in most of the photos, especially if you look at larger sizes. I didn't keep the camera in a bag or anything, just carried it around with me for an hour out in the cold sleet. No problems at all, thanks Pentax for giving me the confidence to take my camera out in inclement weather without worries!

Here are a few shots that I'll share. Mostly shot w/ K-7 and DA* 50-135 using manual exposure. The full set is viewable on my zenfolio:

Raleigh Snow 2010

Wife Getting Ready

Mailman with Chains

Bus Stuck on Curb

Nearby Creek

Stupid People Having Dangerous Fun

Random People I Met

More People Being Stupid and Unsafe

Townhome Entrance Sign

Hope you enjoy!
-Jim
Views: 2,763
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

That stupid dangerous stuff does look Super Fun. I saw some guys in the parking lot on snowboards being dragged behind a Jeep
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #3

Surprising to see chains on a mail truck, in the "South" ... chains aren't even legal here in Michigan. The poor letter carriers are frequently stuck on the roads around my house, their jeeps aren't even 4WD.
01-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
Surprising to see chains on a mail truck, in the "South" ... chains aren't even legal here in Michigan. The poor letter carriers are frequently stuck on the roads around my house, their jeeps aren't even 4WD.
Must not be illegal here because there isn't really enough snow around here to make them popular. Interesting to hear that they are not legal up there though, I guess it's pretty bad for roads when the snow/ice wears thin. Sucks that the mail carriers have trouble though, seems like they would have a decent solution for that.

01-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Snow!!! Where do you see snow?

Time to be serious. So far this year, we've had only two or three snow fall, and last week, we had a rainy day that melted about half of what was left, so we don't have much right now. But winter is not over yet.
01-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A wonderful series and the shot of your wife is perfect. I've often thought the best place to live would be one where snow does appear but so seldom it makes people smile. When I lived in Ohio and Michigan, snow wore out its welcome rather quickly.

Jer
02-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trd300gt Quote
That stupid dangerous stuff does look Super Fun. I saw some guys in the parking lot on snowboards being dragged behind a Jeep
Just an update on how dangerous activities like this are. In one of the nearby counties during this snowstorm, a woman was doing something similar and died when she ran into a tree headfirst. Super-fun, maybe...but worth risking your life? I wouldn't think so.

02-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
When I lived in Ohio and Michigan, snow wore out its welcome rather quickly.Jer
For me, it's winter wearing out its welcome, not the snow. We have only received about a foot of snow over the entire month of Jan., which is very little. Day after day of below freezing temps and gray skies, the snow helps make things more bearable. Having the ground covered with dirty ice is awful.

The contractors that buy monster trucks and sell seasonal plowing contracts are making out real good right now. They had to work in December, but now they get to take the rest of the winter off, and still get paid!
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice NC snow series neighbor