Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Tamron vs Sigma... bugs
Posted By: codiac2600, 06-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Thought I'd compare my macro ability with these two lenses and here are the results!

Tamron not in macro mode 300mm


Tamron again cropped non macro shot at 300mm


Tamron at 300mm 1:3 macro not cropped


Turtle with Tamron 300mm


Tamron at 300mm 1:2 "Spread Eagle"


Tamron at 300mm not marcro AF


Tamron at 300mm 1:3 macro


Tamron at 300mm at nearly 1:2 macro


Two butterflies battle (Tamron at 300mm)


Love making with Tamron at 300mm nearly 1:2


Tamron at 1:2 at 300mm f10 ISO 400


Same shot with Sigma 105 at f9 ISO 340


Closer


Nearly 1:1 no crop as always


Thank you and C&C is always welcome!
Views: 1,378
06-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
Amazing, amazing, amazing. You have a good eye Chris. Kudos for another great series.
06-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montville, Ohio
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Chris,

These are great!!!!

J
06-30-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member
channeler's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northwich Cheshire England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,008
Great series Chris. I don't know, do you think the Sigma is just little crisper? It's hard to be sure unless you could shoot absolutely identical shots telling the bugs to hold pose until you changed the lens.

Paul

06-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
hinckc's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 298
great work, as always! You've been inspiring me to "get closer"....
The in-flight, and the sexy moths are my favorites!

Thanks!
06-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Well done Chris - those are great shots for a consumer lens the skill lies behind the 'shutter realese' your pratice is paying off and it shows. I also think the sigma is a bit sharper but agree unless everything is the same it is hard to judge farily - either way the difference is not huge.
06-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Amazing, amazing, amazing. You have a good eye Chris. Kudos for another great series.
Thank you for looking and commenting, it's getting easier to fram things the more you go out and try.

QuoteOriginally posted by meyjo Quote
Chris,

These are great!!!!

J
Thanks J!

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great series Chris. I don't know, do you think the Sigma is just little crisper? It's hard to be sure unless you could shoot absolutely identical shots telling the bugs to hold pose until you changed the lens.

Paul
Hey Paul thanks for looking and I believe the Sigma achieves a bit more detail on a lower aperture. The tamron at f10 had less detail than the sigma at f9 (wing detail especially) and the contrast is a bit higher from the sigma, but the Tamron performs much better than I had hoped and it's 1:2 macro working distance is like 3 feet compared to a little over a foot with the sigma so it can be a bit more helpful for the tricky shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
great work, as always! You've been inspiring me to "get closer"....
The in-flight, and the sexy moths are my favorites!

Thanks!
Thanks hinckc and getting closer was my mine objective after seeing Marc's work and many other shots on here as well so please do give it a try because it's actually a lot of fun trying to compose in a tiny world instead of the real world.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Chris - those are great shots for a consumer lens the skill lies behind the 'shutter realese' your pratice is paying off and it shows. I also think the sigma is a bit sharper but agree unless everything is the same it is hard to judge farily - either way the difference is not huge.
I think the smooth bokeh of the Tamron is also a plus for macro work... but the wing detail is what gets me because the sigma was at f9 for the same ratio as the tamron but it was at f10. I hope Pentax makes a crazy pro macro lens which I personally hope is in the 180 to 200mm range maybe f3.5 but 2.8 would be excellent. I'm going to push that to Pentax actually because the 100mm macro is their staple but a 180mm lens they don't have and heck just make it a macro one would be wonderful addition
07-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Darwin, Australia
Posts: 203
I think that's the Tamron that's offered in a kit with the Pentax 18-55 atm isn't it? Anyhow it seems to perform well. I'd like to compare it with the same lens by Sigma, the Sigma 75-300 APO. Nice pics.

Tim H

07-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
That Tamron is doing a great job, but that first Sigma shot is jaw-dropping! Just look at those wings!
07-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Senior Member
rhermans's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Europe - Belgium - Antwerp
Photos: Albums
Posts: 213
Great shots, offcourse the sigam is better for macro work, but the tamron gives you the possibility to keep a distance.

If I had to pick a favourite it would be the 3 shot.

Thanks for sharing
07-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I think that's the Tamron that's offered in a kit with the Pentax 18-55 atm isn't it? Anyhow it seems to perform well. I'd like to compare it with the same lens by Sigma, the Sigma 75-300 APO. Nice pics.

Tim H
I'm not sure Tim, I personally haven't seen a kit offered with a Tamron, but I do know of a two lens kit by Tamron for pentax, but they are the older models from what I remember.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
That Tamron is doing a great job, but that first Sigma shot is jaw-dropping! Just look at those wings!
Thanks Alvin and it's the one reason why I love the Sigma it's an oustanding performer for the price just as much as the Tamron for what I use it for.

QuoteOriginally posted by rhermans Quote
Great shots, offcourse the sigam is better for macro work, but the tamron gives you the possibility to keep a distance.

If I had to pick a favourite it would be the 3 shot.

Thanks for sharing
Yes the working distance is wonderful with the Tamron and it's the reason I purchased it and am very pleased because it's so much better than the old model IMO and even at higher ISO's.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300mm, camera, iso, macro, photo, shot, tamron, tamron vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamron 17-50mm, Tamron 28-75mm, Sigma 17-70mm, which lens for my trip to Greece? macky112 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 11-20-2011 03:08 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 (K mount) and Tamron Adaptall 24mm F2.5 with Tamron P/K ada pxpaulx Sold Items 4 08-27-2010 08:47 PM
Macro Bugs eating bugs serie suzuki-j Post Your Photos! 8 06-22-2010 02:09 PM
Bugs. First pics with Tamron 90mm skaktuss Post Your Photos! 10 07-24-2008 05:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top