Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tamron vs Sigma... bugs
Posted By: codiac2600, 06-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Thought I'd compare my macro ability with these two lenses and here are the results!

Tamron not in macro mode 300mm

Tamron again cropped non macro shot at 300mm

Tamron at 300mm 1:3 macro not cropped

Turtle with Tamron 300mm

Tamron at 300mm 1:2 "Spread Eagle"

Tamron at 300mm not marcro AF

Tamron at 300mm 1:3 macro

Tamron at 300mm at nearly 1:2 macro

Two butterflies battle (Tamron at 300mm)

Love making with Tamron at 300mm nearly 1:2

Tamron at 1:2 at 300mm f10 ISO 400

Same shot with Sigma 105 at f9 ISO 340

Closer

Nearly 1:1 no crop as always

Thank you and C&C is always welcome!
Views: 1,378
06-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Amazing, amazing, amazing. You have a good eye Chris. Kudos for another great series.
06-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Chris,

These are great!!!!

J
06-30-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great series Chris. I don't know, do you think the Sigma is just little crisper? It's hard to be sure unless you could shoot absolutely identical shots telling the bugs to hold pose until you changed the lens.

Paul

06-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #5

great work, as always! You've been inspiring me to "get closer"....
The in-flight, and the sexy moths are my favorites!

Thanks!
06-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Chris - those are great shots for a consumer lens the skill lies behind the 'shutter realese' your pratice is paying off and it shows. I also think the sigma is a bit sharper but agree unless everything is the same it is hard to judge farily - either way the difference is not huge.
06-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Amazing, amazing, amazing. You have a good eye Chris. Kudos for another great series.
Thank you for looking and commenting, it's getting easier to fram things the more you go out and try.

QuoteOriginally posted by meyjo Quote
Chris,

These are great!!!!

J
Thanks J!

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great series Chris. I don't know, do you think the Sigma is just little crisper? It's hard to be sure unless you could shoot absolutely identical shots telling the bugs to hold pose until you changed the lens.

Paul
Hey Paul thanks for looking and I believe the Sigma achieves a bit more detail on a lower aperture. The tamron at f10 had less detail than the sigma at f9 (wing detail especially) and the contrast is a bit higher from the sigma, but the Tamron performs much better than I had hoped and it's 1:2 macro working distance is like 3 feet compared to a little over a foot with the sigma so it can be a bit more helpful for the tricky shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
great work, as always! You've been inspiring me to "get closer"....
The in-flight, and the sexy moths are my favorites!

Thanks!
Thanks hinckc and getting closer was my mine objective after seeing Marc's work and many other shots on here as well so please do give it a try because it's actually a lot of fun trying to compose in a tiny world instead of the real world.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Chris - those are great shots for a consumer lens the skill lies behind the 'shutter realese' your pratice is paying off and it shows. I also think the sigma is a bit sharper but agree unless everything is the same it is hard to judge farily - either way the difference is not huge.
I think the smooth bokeh of the Tamron is also a plus for macro work... but the wing detail is what gets me because the sigma was at f9 for the same ratio as the tamron but it was at f10. I hope Pentax makes a crazy pro macro lens which I personally hope is in the 180 to 200mm range maybe f3.5 but 2.8 would be excellent. I'm going to push that to Pentax actually because the 100mm macro is their staple but a 180mm lens they don't have and heck just make it a macro one would be wonderful addition
07-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I think that's the Tamron that's offered in a kit with the Pentax 18-55 atm isn't it? Anyhow it seems to perform well. I'd like to compare it with the same lens by Sigma, the Sigma 75-300 APO. Nice pics.

Tim H

07-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That Tamron is doing a great job, but that first Sigma shot is jaw-dropping! Just look at those wings!
07-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Great shots, offcourse the sigam is better for macro work, but the tamron gives you the possibility to keep a distance.

If I had to pick a favourite it would be the 3 shot.

Thanks for sharing
07-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I think that's the Tamron that's offered in a kit with the Pentax 18-55 atm isn't it? Anyhow it seems to perform well. I'd like to compare it with the same lens by Sigma, the Sigma 75-300 APO. Nice pics.

Tim H
I'm not sure Tim, I personally haven't seen a kit offered with a Tamron, but I do know of a two lens kit by Tamron for pentax, but they are the older models from what I remember.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
That Tamron is doing a great job, but that first Sigma shot is jaw-dropping! Just look at those wings!
Thanks Alvin and it's the one reason why I love the Sigma it's an oustanding performer for the price just as much as the Tamron for what I use it for.

QuoteOriginally posted by rhermans Quote
Great shots, offcourse the sigam is better for macro work, but the tamron gives you the possibility to keep a distance.

If I had to pick a favourite it would be the 3 shot.

Thanks for sharing
Yes the working distance is wonderful with the Tamron and it's the reason I purchased it and am very pleased because it's so much better than the old model IMO and even at higher ISO's.