Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Minus 20 and blowing on the Nova Scotia shore
Camera: K-7 Photo Location: South Shore NS 
Posted By: SteveM, 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM

I am out in Halifax for work and was able to drive the coast a bit over the weekend. Even with the winter cold, I can see why people want to live here. The scenery is stunning!

These shots are from Peggys Cove, where the first one is from the early morning while the rest are evening shots....

K7 - K24/2.8

Down inside the cove......where I walked around for about half an hour. It doesn't look like it, but it was blowing hard and even after wearing gloves, my hands were in a lot of pain warming up in the car.... (live and learn)

K7 - 35/3.5 S-M-C Takumar

Can't leave Peggys cover without a typical lighthouse shot. At least the ocean freezing along the rocks adds a bit of a twist....

I noticed a few light on in the small houses....and a couple of cars parked outside. Other than that, it seemed like there was no-one around.....

Cheers,
Steve
Views: 2,662
02-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Inactive Account

great pics the one of the lighthouse turned out great
02-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MacKay Quote
great pics the one of the lighthouse turned out great
Thanks!...it must be terrific in your neck of the woods too....
02-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Nice pics . . . really like #3

Peter

02-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Thanks!...it must be terrific in your neck of the woods too....
yeah it is not too bad it has been snowing here since this morning.
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Petermgr Quote
Nice pics . . . really like #3

Peter
Thanks Peter. Some of the shots are blown (snow/sky) while being dark in other areas. I don't have photoshop on here but I'll play with it when get home..
02-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These make me miss home even more. I grew up just a few Kms 'down the shore' from Peggy's cove. The great thing about Nova Scotia is how much the landscape varies. There are parts that look like this, others that are even more rugged, Mountains in the north, farms in the west etc.

Great shots and they really capture the spot wonderfully. Where are you staying and for how long? I can be your virtual tour guide if you want some suggestions.

02-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
These make me miss home even more. I grew up just a few Kms 'down the shore' from Peggy's cove. The great thing about Nova Scotia is how much the landscape varies. There are parts that look like this, others that are even more rugged, Mountains in the north, farms in the west etc.

Great shots and they really capture the spot wonderfully. Where are you staying and for how long? I can be your virtual tour guide if you want some suggestions.
I appreciate that Peter! I'm enjoying being out here in February, every corner you take there is something new and interesting.

I'll be heading back on Thursday but will probably have to come out another one or two more times. I've been coming out for 2 week blocks which gives me a weekend in between to take a few pictures....it's a long flight from Victoria!!

When I'm here, I'm working in Halifax...and will probably want to see another section of the province during my next trip out...

Cheers,
Steve
02-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well if you haven't been there already and have some time. You need to check out Historic Properties on the Halifax waterfront. If you enjoy a great brew, go to the Lower deck before leaving. Then head up to Citadel hill.
If you go to Grand Parade (city hall) you'll see St Pauls Church and inside is the family crest of my Great grandfather from the 1750's (Charles Morris). He designed Halifax and several other communities. But the interesting thing in that church is on the upper west side you'll see the outline of a person's head and shoulders. It was someone who was blown through the window during the explosion and they left it alone. There's new protective glass but it's erie.

if you want more, send me a PM. I traveled NS for 20 years as a rep.
02-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice photos and an interesting thread: "blown through the window during the explosion" kinda piqued my interest ;~)
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Inactive Account

#3 gets another vote for me, great shot.
02-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice series...loved #3
02-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Peter...I've wandered through the museum....I knew about the explosion but had no idea that it was that severe. For those that have not heard, a ship carrying gunpowder etc to Europe struck another ship and caught fire. The resulting explosion leveled the city.

I'll definitely visit the church.....

Thanks again
Steve
02-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful coastal images - it sure looks cold.

Jer
02-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great shots #1 and the lighthouse are very good. It's been way to long since I have been backt here, thanks for the memories.