Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A lily from my pond.
Posted By: Fritz, 06-30-2007, 12:01 AM

Hi, this will be my first picture post. I just got my K100d a few weeks ago and I have been having a blast with it. I'm still pretty new at this, so I thought I would throw a few pictures up here. C&C are appreciated!

I'll start with this lily in my pond, shot with my Vivitar 75-205. 1/500, f11?(or maybe 16), ISO 200.

Thanks for any suggestions to help me be a better photographer!
Views: 1,674
06-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thats a very good first post! The flower looks very nice and sharp!

As for suggestion, I see some great potential in this scene for a different picture, that is, you see the reflection of the flower in the pond. the pond is so dark it looks almost like the flower is sitting on a glass table. Id try to change the angle a bit and get a shot that focused on the flower itself and its reflection, leaving the green leaf out of the frame.

The picture you posted in itself I dont have a lot of suggestions, I think its good as it is, I dont think its easy to get a white flower nice and sharp like that, its easy to blow the highlights but in your picture the leafs look very good so I think u did a great job.
06-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see what you are saying about the reflection. Thats what caught my eye about this picture when I got it up on the computer. But I didn't really see it when I took the picture, I was busy getting the flower focused. And making sure I didn't blow out the highlights! Your suggestions and comments, thanks!
06-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a grat first shot! Everything is sharp and no blown highlights or anything else most people forget to think about when shooting.

As for suggestions mine is that of balance and this image seems a bit heavy on the left side because of the green leaf and the flower right smack dab in the middle. Either move your camera a little to the left and get the flower and reflection on one side and the leaf on the other or mkae the green leaf the smallest part and have the dark water as the majority of your image with the flower in the top left hand corner.

Basically a good rule to first time shooting for me is to shoot a lot and try different compositions and then go back and see what you like or others if that is important and the next time you go out you'll have a better idea of what to look for and how to compose.

just a thought and happy shooting!

06-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent ideas, thanks!
06-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I see what you are saying about the reflection. Thats what caught my eye about this picture when I got it up on the computer. But I didn't really see it when I took the picture, I was busy getting the flower focused. And making sure I didn't blow out the highlights! Your suggestions and comments, thanks!
which is basis for my #1 advice: spend as much time looking at the background through the camera view finder as you spend looking at your photo subject.

Numerous tiny speck hilites do nothing for the photo, clone them out.

Per my #1 advice, recompose this shot to properly frame the bloom and it's reflection, away from or minimize floating leaf.

Compose or crop it better: the reflection is running off the picture plane.

It's nice, but something is strange, everything on the flower is sharp but the center. How in the world do you get fore and background sharp but center blurred?
07-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advise Donald. I messed around with that picture a little. Did some cropping and cloning to try to clean it up a little. Of course I can't do much with the reflection running out of the frame at this point (at least with this picture), but does this modified picture come a little closer to the right idea? I still need to get the leaf out of there.

As far as the center being blurred, I have no idea what would have caused that. The lens I used is usually pretty sharp. Which is why I used it on this shot. Maybe I should try my DA 50-200 on the next go around and see if it is any better? Looks like I have a few things to try out.

Thanks for the help.