Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K100D Photos - first time sharing
Posted By: JLou, 06-30-2007, 09:30 PM

I got my K100D about a fortnight ago, and have been having a play with it.
I have had Pentax Film SLR's before, and a compact digital . . . dSLR is a new venture, I think I am going to like it!

I am just the 'family historian'!! But I love photography and look forward to learning how to use my camera properly, and learning from all of you.

These photos were taken in 'auto' mode, so that I can see what the camera chooses, and learn a bit more about the way the camera works.
What do you think? I look forward to learning from your comments Thanks for looking.

All Photos taken with K100D and Soligor AF IF f:4.2-6.5 28-210 lens
This one: F/6.7 @ 210 1/180sec with flash

This one: F/5.6 @ 43 1/90 no flash - cropped to remove sunspot

This one: F/6.7 @ 210 1/180sec no flash

This one: F/6.7 @ 210 1/250sec no flash

Views: 3,284
07-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Nice first series, the first shot although a bit to dark (nothing what some post processing on a pc can't fix) is my favourite.
07-01-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
welcome, and nice shots.

ditto on what rhermans said - #1 is my favorite. #3 is very close behind though.
You found a good place to ask questions. Most everyone here is glad to help out.
07-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments.
So . . . when you say #1 is a bit dark . . . do you mean it needs to be 'overall' lightened, or am I looking at highlights or fill light . . . or what?

My 'post processing' skills are pretty non-existent.
I do have PS Elements V3 and Picasa (which I mostly use as it has simple controls!!).

Any help you would like to offer here would be greatly appreciated . . . or even 'show me' what you mean . . . feel free to play with the photo (if that is possible!!)

Cheers
JLou

07-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JLou Quote
Thanks for your comments.
So . . . when you say #1 is a bit dark . . . do you mean it needs to be 'overall' lightened, or am I looking at highlights or fill light . . . or what?

My 'post processing' skills are pretty non-existent.
I do have PS Elements V3 and Picasa (which I mostly use as it has simple controls!!).

Any help you would like to offer here would be greatly appreciated . . . or even 'show me' what you mean . . . feel free to play with the photo (if that is possible!!)

Cheers
JLou
Hi JLou.
Welcome! I happen to agree with the rest of the posters. I've taken you up on your invitation to play a little with your first posted shot. I too use PSE v3 and decided to do a "quick and dirty" (engineering term for minimal work) re-do of your photo. Since you say your PP skills are minimal, I took that approach.
Here's what I did.
Open photo in the "Edit" mode
Click on "Enhance"
Go to "Lighting" in the drop down menu
Click on "Shadows and Highlights" and played with the sliders until I got it pretty much the way I liked it, and clicked OK.
Back to Enhance/Lighting, but click on "levels"
Tweaked the image a bit using the input sliders for light and midlevel input (white and grey triangles) until I was moderately satisfied and saved the result. Total time in PSE 3 was about 1.5 minutes, but I've been doing this kind of tweak a LOT so don't expect that kind of speed at first. One note of caution, the grey input triangle slider is quite powerful, I rarely go below 85 or above 1.10 with it.

Here is what your shot looks like now:
07-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks NaclH20, it does help to have a few instructions and 'see' what it is I am looking for.

I'll go and have a play with the original photo, and see what I can do with it . . . nice to have yours to compare it too!
I am sure the more I play with the PSE I'll get better at it . . . I tended to use Picasa and let the program do the 'quick fix'.

It seems that when I am doing the post-processing, I am really looking for what I see and what *I* think is right?? And I am assuming that I get better at that the more I play with the photos and look at other photos to see what looks good?

Thanks for taking the time to head me in the right direction

Cheers
JLou
07-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
How did I do?

OK . . . here is my go at fixing the first photo. How did I do?
I did it in PSE v2 (I thought I had v3, but I don't!) - I just had to work out where the tools you were talking about were, NaClH20 . . . they were in a similar place with slightly different names!

Last edited by JLou; 07-01-2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: ETA: it didn't take that long either - Thanks :)