Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Turtle Power! And other creatures of the marsh!
Posted By: codiac2600, 07-01-2007, 06:33 PM

Well... I know you're all bored of my dragonflies by now so I went on a mission today to get something totally different and even I was surprised that this turtle allowed me within his bubble for some candids.

Taken with my Sigma 105mm macro and a lot of patience as these guys move much faster than what people make them out as.

You think you can hide from me!

Found a cute little ducky as well and decided to do some motionness... of course it was because after shooting the turtle I still had the camera at f11 or f9 and the shutter speed was 1/30! so enjoy and they look pretty cool even though a couple were a mistake.

splish splash I'm takin a...

bath!

Takeoff!

A flower and shadows

A rat gnawing on some grass?

And one of two dragonflies I took pictures of

I hope you enjoyed my venture and the shots of everything other than dragonflies! As always C&C is welcome and let me know any questions you have.
Views: 2,174
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Chris,

Great shots of the turtle. Of the duck shots I like the last the best. Did you do a panning shot? There's a wonderful sense of movement but the duck seems pretty sharp. The flower shots are nice too, the second seems to have a poetic flavour with the contrating stone and the flower's shadow on the stone adds to this. How close were you to the rat? They generally take off pretty fast. Not sure I'd want to get too close. Mind you I saw a brown rat the size of a small cat passing through our front garden a year or so back and it rather put me off further encounters. As good a dragonfly as you have ever captured.

Paul
07-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I like the turtles eye shot. We have lots of big Dragon Flies here in Darwin Australia during the changing from Wet Season to Dry & vise versa I just wish I knew where to look to find their homes. Maybe you can give me some tips on possible locations. Do they like water, trees or what? Maybe I'll Google some info on them.
07-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #4

The turtle's eye and both flower's shadows are brilliant!

Thanks for sharing all of them!

-Chris

07-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I don't think I'll ever tire of your dragonflies... I'm not around them much and your shots are brilliant. The turtle shots are great too! Also, love the last bird shot! You're fortunate to be near an area with such diverse wildlife! Keep 'em coming!
07-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
How close were you to the rat? They generally take off pretty fast. Not sure I'd want to get too close.
I think it's a muskrat, not your ordinary carries-bubonic-plague type rat. They're harmless, and hang about eating cattails and the like.

codiac, I really like the bathing duck series! Great close shots of the turtle. It looks like you have a fun spot to go shooting. Now I'm all envious, I'm in the city this week so I can't walk out the back door and shoot dragons!

Julie
07-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Hi Chris,

Great shots of the turtle. Of the duck shots I like the last the best. Did you do a panning shot? There's a wonderful sense of movement but the duck seems pretty sharp. The flower shots are nice too, the second seems to have a poetic flavour with the contrating stone and the flower's shadow on the stone adds to this. How close were you to the rat? They generally take off pretty fast. Not sure I'd want to get too close. Mind you I saw a brown rat the size of a small cat passing through our front garden a year or so back and it rather put me off further encounters. As good a dragonfly as you have ever captured.

Paul
Thanks Paul and yes the duck shot was a pan indeed. Yeah out here they are pretty skittish but I'm always good at sneaking around and getting close enough for a full frame shot, I have a few closer than that from a shoot at the local swan pond.

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I like the turtles eye shot. We have lots of big Dragon Flies here in Darwin Australia during the changing from Wet Season to Dry & vise versa I just wish I knew where to look to find their homes. Maybe you can give me some tips on possible locations. Do they like water, trees or what? Maybe I'll Google some info on them.
Dragonflies tend to always stick to water as they need it to spawn new life because they lay the eggs in the water and they turn into nymphs which emerge on dry land after a few weeks. A small constant body of water is always best and especially if the fish life isn't too high because small fish tend to eat the nymphs as most fly fisherman like myself know. Small bodies of water also make it easier to follow the dragonflies as they can fly for long distances and a large lake would be impossible for you to chase down anything that flies over water. The "lake" I typically shoot at is no more than 100ft wide so it's easy to find the same dragonfly over and over again. In the early morning they tend to perch so if you hit sunrise check brush and bare twigs for either casing or the live dragonfly as they don't typically fly at night. Most are active during noon-6pm..ish.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
The turtle's eye and both flower's shadows are brilliant!

Thanks for sharing all of them!

-Chris
Thank you and it was a fun shot and hope to find a lowly turtle passing by again for another quick shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I don't think I'll ever tire of your dragonflies... I'm not around them much and your shots are brilliant. The turtle shots are great too! Also, love the last bird shot! You're fortunate to be near an area with such diverse wildlife! Keep 'em coming!
Lol, thank you and I do feel a bit lucky as a 10 minute drive will take me to large lakes, small ponds, streams, forest, marsh, natural fields and even the mall.

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I think it's a muskrat, not your ordinary carries-bubonic-plague type rat. They're harmless, and hang about eating cattails and the like.

codiac, I really like the bathing duck series! Great close shots of the turtle. It looks like you have a fun spot to go shooting. Now I'm all envious, I'm in the city this week so I can't walk out the back door and shoot dragons!

Julie
I'm not sure if it's a muskrat but I know the field guides for the midwest call this a water rat as they spend most of their time eating plants and bugs and pretty much live in the water most of the time. Commonly mistaken for a beaver out here by the kids who are around as I take pictures, but these guys have nasty yellow teeth... and I mean nasty from eating all the green plants and such.

07-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
codiac has given some good advice, I'll add this: dragonflies tend to patrol a particular area, and have a favourite perch. If you sit quietly near a pond or stream where you've seen dragonflies, you'll soon discover where they're perching. You can usually get very close to these perches so long as you move slowly and are willing to sit or stand very still for a while. The dragonflies seem to decide you're a new sort of tree or something after a while!

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I'm not sure if it's a muskrat but I know the field guides for the midwest call this a water rat as they spend most of their time eating plants and bugs and pretty much live in the water most of the time. Commonly mistaken for a beaver
If they're mistaken for beaver, then it's a muskrat - I'd forgotten that water rat is another common name for them. They do look rather like a shrunken beaver. The ones around here even make heaps of cattails that look remarkably like beaver lodges. Do yours?

By the way, you mention dragonflies emerging as adults after a few weeks - maybe some do, but most that I'm familiar with take far longer, most spend the winter as nymphs and some stay in the water for two years. So many aquatic insects are like that - the adults we see (and consider the main part of the life cycle) represent only a small part of their lives.

Julie