Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Same Shot Three Different locations
Lens: 12-24 Camera: K20 Photo Location: Maple Ridge ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: Jimbo, 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM

Took a number of shots at this location moving up and down the stream to see how it would change the image. Here are a few. Cheers JIM

Views: 3,073
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first one best. Wide open view, good depth. On the 2nd, the way the fern covers up the top of the fall is not pleasing.
02-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great series, as usual, JIM - I like the rich green color. Buddy, you've got this "color thing" down for sure.

Jer
02-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent series. I think #1 is my favorite, but I like #2 almost as much. Well done.

02-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I like the first one best. Wide open view, good depth. On the 2nd, the way the fern covers up the top of the fall is not pleasing.

Appreciate the feedback. I have a few more I am working on I will post later. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Great series, as usual, JIM - I like the rich green color. Buddy, you've got this "color thing" down for sure.

Jer

Thanks Jer. For these shots I have been using my CP filter which does bring out the colors. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Excellent series. I think #1 is my favorite, but I like #2 almost as much. Well done.
Thank you Frank. JIM
02-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jim, I like the first one best. As far as the second one I am with Song. About the third one: I think it is quite hard to make a good pic of waterfalls from above....

Said that, you did a great job, again. Sharpness is great, I love the smoothness of the water and the rich colours! With about 4" exposure (ND filters?) you must have had no wind at all, did you?
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #7

Would've liked it more if you did a 1s shutter. Water is It's too creamy.

02-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think #3 is POTENTIALLY the best shot.

The stream moving diagonally across the FOV was the right idea but you should have included a bit more of the length of the stream I think.

Including more of the surrounding habitat is important to this kind of shot.

It's not really so much a "landscape" shot as a environmental or habitat shot. The stream does not exist in isolation from the habitat around it so include more of it as you tried to do in #3.

The shutter speed is excessively slow - it makes the water look more like fog than water. The picture would be improved with more detail in the water. As it is it looks too much like a contrived cliche.
02-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, I like the first one best. As far as the second one I am with Song. About the third one: I think it is quite hard to make a good pic of waterfalls from above....

Said that, you did a great job, again. Sharpness is great, I love the smoothness of the water and the rich colours! With about 4" exposure (ND filters?) you must have had no wind at all, did you?
No wind though it was a little dark on here thus the long exposure and I was running F 9.5-18 looking for a certain DOF. As someone mentioned, maybe a quicker shutter speed would have improved the water look. Something to work on the next time. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Would've liked it more if you did a 1s shutter. Water is It's too creamy.
I agree Alex though, at the time, I was looking at DOF. I will give that a try the next time. JIM

QuoteQuote:
think #3 is POTENTIALLY the best shot.

The stream moving diagonally across the FOV was the right idea but you should have included a bit more of the length of the stream I think.

Including more of the surrounding habitat is important to this kind of shot.

It's not really so much a "landscape" shot as a environmental or habitat shot. The stream does not exist in isolation from the habitat around it so include more of it as you tried to do in #3.

The shutter speed is excessively slow - it makes the water look more like fog than water. The picture would be improved with more detail in the water. As it is it looks too much like a contrived cliche.
Thanks you for the comments. It does help for the next time I am hear. On #3 there was a road lower down leaving not as much of a angle as I wanted. I needed to try this shot further up the stream. JIM
02-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great series as usual...the first is my favorite!
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great series as usual...the first is my favorite!

Thank you Jan. JIM
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The day you post a lackluster image in this forum, Jim, will be the same day I accuse someone of hijacking your account and wrongly impersonating you. Ain't gonna happen. That being said, thanks for this lush and vivid series. The colors, contrast and detail captured are exceptional. I like #1 & #2 best, as the composition of the third doesn't do it for me. I'd also be interested to see the dynamic element a faster shutter speed may have offered. I look forward to seeing the other shots you mentioned posting from this location. Thanks for sharing you work!
02-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The day you post a lackluster image in this forum, Jim, will be the same day I accuse someone of hijacking your account and wrongly impersonating you. Ain't gonna happen. That being said, thanks for this lush and vivid series. The colors, contrast and detail captured are exceptional. I like #1 & #2 best, as the composition of the third doesn't do it for me. I'd also be interested to see the dynamic element a faster shutter speed may have offered. I look forward to seeing the other shots you mentioned posting from this location. Thanks for sharing you work!
Nate, when I started my hobby just over two years ago I had no idea what it took to take a good image, let alone understand the equipment I purchased. I still have so much to learn but the journey has been awesome. Not only have I had a lot of help along the way, from so many people on this forum, I have also grown to appreciate how hard it is to improve. I will post a few more from this series in a couple of days but what I want to do now is to learn for the positive comments and suggestions to go back and re-shoot at this location. So many people on this forum have been extremely supportive of me through this learning process and patient when I put so many questionable photos up on this forum. Thank you again for your kind words. It makes me want to get better! Cheers JIM
02-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I admire your attitude and humility, Jim. Being new to photography and having purchased my first dslr less than 3 months ago, what you've shared is very encouraging. I have already learned so much in that short time - largely attributable to this forum - and hope to continue to learn and improve the rest of my life. Thanks for sharing your work and your perspective, Jim. Both inspire me to learn and love all that photography has to offer.
02-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Jim,
I don't post much on the forum but I have looked at most all of your photos over the past year without comment.

It's clear to me you have much improved over this time. You have learned a lot. To master anything requires a bit of humility and an open mind and you would seem to have both.

I will continue to lurk here and see what progress Jim is making.

Wildman