Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Co-operation
Lens: 50mm Camera: K-x ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F1.7 
Posted By: ajuett, 02-16-2010, 05:41 PM

I picked up a mint A series 50mm f/1.7 today. Flawless in appearance and not one spec of dust inside. It also came with an authentic lens hood.

My first photo (3rd actually ) from this lens of my daughter. I am very impressed how easy this is to focus. No cropping, just a very slight WB adjustment.

f/1.7, 1/180, 200 ISO

f/1.7, 1/90, 400 ISO

Last edited by ajuett; 02-17-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Views: 1,568
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No comments or did i post at a bad time?
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like them both. What kind of lighting did you use?

And sometimes, you can post and then a whole bunch of people post right after you do and yours gets buried. I just found this.
02-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I like them both. What kind of lighting did you use?

And sometimes, you can post and then a whole bunch of people post right after you do and yours gets buried. I just found this.
Thanks PhotoLady, My daughter's photo is natural light through a side window and a skylight (late afternoon). My son's photo was in front of a 60w desk lamp.

True, I rushed home with a new lens, took a couple of photos and expected comments. My over-excitement made me anxious, lol

02-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice work on both shots. I like the lighting on the first shot as it seems easy and natural. Your daughter is very cute. I realize that this shot is more candid than an arranged portrait sitting, but it would have been the full swing if the background colour (in the lower region) did not blend in with the purple shirt, offering a little more separation. Hope this comment does not come across as a negative for the photo as it is a worthy capture and sells itself as is.

The second shot (imho) really makes great use of depth of field to bring the key subject elements into view. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing these, and enjoy that lens. It looks like a great addition to your kit.

Spyglass
02-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this might sound hyper picky but your daughters shot looks focused on her nose and because of the narrow DOF her eyes are slightly off......

Last edited by milesy; 02-18-2010 at 04:13 AM.
02-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple of great kid shots - you're lucky to have caught them so still.

If that lens is anything like my old M 50/1.7, you got a good 'un.

Jer
02-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Nice work on both shots. I like the lighting on the first shot as it seems easy and natural. Your daughter is very cute. I realize that this shot is more candid than an arranged portrait sitting, but it would have been the full swing if the background colour (in the lower region) did not blend in with the purple shirt, offering a little more separation. Hope this comment does not come across as a negative for the photo as it is a worthy capture and sells itself as is.

The second shot (imho) really makes great use of depth of field to bring the key subject elements into view. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing these, and enjoy that lens. It looks like a great addition to your kit.

Spyglass
Thank you very much SpyGlass for the kind words. I agree the background could have been better on the first photo. Could have used f/2.4 as well but I again was in a "rush" to see what f/1.7 results were going to be like

QuoteOriginally posted by milesy Quote
this might sound hyper picky but your daughters shot looks focused on her nose and because of the narrow DOF her eyes are slightly off......
I agree, it is very slight and thank you for looking

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A couple of great kid shots - you're lucky to have caught them so still.

If that lens is anything like my old M 50/1.7, you got a good 'un.
Jer
It's rare and bribery is usually required ;-) lol thanks for looking Sailor.