Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
mighty huntress
Lens: 70mm Camera: K100D Photo Location: SE New Brunswick ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: foxglove, 02-21-2010, 08:25 AM

I've been messing with this rather ho-hum photo, and was inspired by Rense's much more accomplished photo (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/91124-nature-geese-treetops.html) to post up and ask for opinions. In Rense's photo, I noticed warm highlights in the trees, which I suggested desaturating, which is what I've been fooling with in this photo.

In the first image, all I've done is made the eyes pop out more, by selectively saturating and brightening the yellows. There are quite a few warm tones in the background. In the second image, I've desaturated and darkened the background. What do you all think?

Julie

Attached Images

Views: 1,898
02-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the warm tones in #1, but I prefer the eyes of #2!
02-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Julie.

Illuminating the eyes works well. But I think the cat gets lost in the darker background. And maybe only partially desaturate the colors?
02-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
I like the warm tones in #1, but I prefer the eyes of #2!
Me too! I didn't realise until I posted them how much more intense I'd got the eyes.

QuoteOriginally posted by SWEngineer Quote
Illuminating the eyes works well. But I think the cat gets lost in the darker background. And maybe only partially desaturate the colors?
Good point - she does sort of fade away... sort of like the Cheshire cat, only it's her eyes, not her grin, that are left!

My original goal was to make the background cooler/bluer, but I discovered that there are no blues in there, and ended up just desaturating it. Maybe I'll try toning the warm colours down a wee bit, and darkening, so that it's still a spooky dark forest but there can still be some contrast with the cat. Or maybe I should just stop wasting so much time on an otherwise rather ho-hum photo!

Thanks for your input!

Julie