Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Best Dragonfly Shoot EVER!! lots of pics!!!
Posted By: codiac2600, 07-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Wow is all I have to say about today's adventure and here are the images to prove it. All taken with Tamron 70-300 XR Di and my trusty K10D and a lot of good luck.

Male Pachydiplax longipennis (Blue Dasher)

Male Libellula luctuosa (Widow Skimmer)

Female Perithemis tenera (Eastern Amberwing)

Female Libellula luctuosa (Widow Skimmer)

Male Erythemis simplicicollis (Eastern Pondhawk)

Female Libellula luctuosa (Widow Skimmer)

Male and female Widow Skimmer mating

Male Pachydiplax longipennis (Blue Dasher)

Male Libellula pulchella (Twelve Spotted Skimmer)

Male Erythemis simplicicollis (Eastern Pondhawk)

Unknown Species

Last edited by codiac2600; 07-05-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added species information
Views: 2,471
07-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

And I ended up with some things other than dragonflies today as well!

Wow... well C&C is always welcome and enjoy!
07-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely Stunning Chris.

I hope that I have the chance that you did in the next short while.
07-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Fantastic series. The colour and sharpness, it's all there. The third shot in the first serie is very different. I love the motion blur of the wings.

Cheers

Eddie

07-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hello Chris,

I don't post that much but I am addicted to this forum. I must say that this collection of dragonflies just blew me away. Very Very Very Nice and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene R
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, thats a great set of dragonflies so many different kinds too,that mid-air shot is really cool You have a steady hand in mosquito-land.* Note insect repellent and plastic don't mix (I've got a thumb print in a lens cap from a trip to the everglades in the '80's)
07-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Absolutely Stunning Chris.

I hope that I have the chance that you did in the next short while.
Thank you Stu and I hope everyone gets a chance to get what they have always wanted on film (or memory cad ) Let me know when you want to come down to my neck of the woods and you'll have a field day with that 400mm length!

QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Fantastic series. The colour and sharpness, it's all there. The third shot in the first serie is very different. I love the motion blur of the wings.

Cheers

Eddie
Thank you Eddie and that was a lucky shot with a story. Basically I saw a clump of gnats just doing what they do and this dragonfly fly just started hovering next to them. All of a sudden he lunges right into the group and does this repeatedly as I have a field day snapping away at him.

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Hello Chris,

I don't post that much but I am addicted to this forum. I must say that this collection of dragonflies just blew me away. Very Very Very Nice and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene R
Thank you Rene and I too am addicted to this forum as it's the friendliest that I've been part of.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Wow, thats a great set of dragonflies so many different kinds too,that mid-air shot is really cool You have a steady hand in mosquito-land.* Note insect repellent and plastic don't mix (I've got a thumb print in a lens cap from a trip to the everglades in the '80's)
Thank you Tom and I can't take all the credit for the steady hand since the camera gives me a good 3 stops of extra steadiness but am gifted in being young and steady so I'll live it up for as long as I can.
07-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #8

These macros are fantastic. Great job!

07-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

They are great. Excellent and well done. Pity they aren't slightly bigger sized images because I'd like one as my screen shot.

Tim H
07-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #10

Wow!! Chris these are awesome!! That Tamron seems to handle very nice.

I love dragonfly shots. takes a lot of patients cause they can be very skidish.
07-06-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Absolutely stunning shots Chris! You keep raising the bar on dragonfly shots.
07-06-2007, 05:48 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are really impressive, Chris. Pro Stuff. I don't know how you do this. You must have the optimum combination of a good eye, quick response, steady hand and the patience of Job.

Jer
07-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HowLowCanYaGo Quote
These macros are fantastic. Great job!
Thank you very much!

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
They are great. Excellent and well done. Pity they aren't slightly bigger sized images because I'd like one as my screen shot.

Tim H
Thanks Tim and you can always go to my flickr and download a larger size if you'd like.

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
Wow!! Chris these are awesome!! That Tamron seems to handle very nice.

I love dragonfly shots. takes a lot of patients cause they can be very skidish.
Thanks brew and I believe I have an excellent copy of this Tamron and it's much better than last years model IMO. Not so much patience I just keep moving and if something flies away two more will be sitting further down so I keep going and walking around a few times back and forth.

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Absolutely stunning shots Chris! You keep raising the bar on dragonfly shots.
Thanks Scott and I never knew there was a bar but it's an honor to raise it a notch especially for the Pentax crowd

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are really impressive, Chris. Pro Stuff. I don't know how you do this. You must have the optimum combination of a good eye, quick response, steady hand and the patience of Job.

Jer
Thanks Jer and I don't know how I do it sometimes either, but if you saw all the garbage on the memory cards I fill then you'd see. I never thought of everything it takes to go out and accomplish a successful day out, but I do believe you've summed it up all right there.
07-06-2007, 07:03 AM   #14

WOW! These are amazing..... my 50mm Macro could never do something like this
07-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Again, they are all superb ! But my favorite is the third one (in flight). It's the one where we distinguish the least amount of detail on the dragonfly, but its dynamism appeals to me. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to catch one in flight !