Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kids on Broadway....
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 03-01-2010, 11:52 PM

.....is a program at the local Live Theater. This was the 9 to 12 year group and the play was called "The Elves and the Shoemaker". Our grandson was in it so of course we went to the performance.

I sat in the tenth row, center right. The light was pretty horrible, took a lot of PP. The first one was with the Pentax A 50mm 1.7 and the others with Pentax DFA 2.8 100mm macro. All with K20D.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 1,577
03-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done Heinrich - I know your pain as my daughter was a thesbian in High School - those theaters are terrible. Nice shots and better pp.
03-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This is very well done. I think you've managed the lighting very well.
What Iso were you shooting ?
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love these, Heinrich. It's obvious that these kids are working hard and taking this seriously - it's equally obvious that you are displaying your typically outstanding technique. For some reason, I never think of my DFA 100 as a fast tele - these shots remind me of the possibility.

Jer

03-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nicely done Heinrich - I know your pain as my daughter was a thesbian in High School - those theaters are terrible. Nice shots and better pp.
Thank you Dave, it's not the equipment but the operators. It's all run by volunteers and some get carried away and want to be "creative".

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
This is very well done. I think you've managed the lighting very well.
What Iso were you shooting ?
Thank you Sune for the kind words. ISO was 200 (Exif should be intact)

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I love these, Heinrich. It's obvious that these kids are working hard and taking this seriously - it's equally obvious that you are displaying your typically outstanding technique. For some reason, I never think of my DFA 100 as a fast tele - these shots remind me of the possibility.

Jer
Hi Jer and thank you. The kids started in this program last September and for most of them it was the very first time. They did have a good director that made it fun and as you know once it is fun it turns into a good job.

Take care,
03-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shots of what looks like a great group of kids
03-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Great shots of what looks like a great group of kids
Thank you Jan and yes, they were a great group of kids.

Take care,

03-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wonderful work under such tough lighting conditions - and looks like a wonderful bunch of young performers as well! I know you are (rightly) proud of your grandson.
03-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Wonderful work under such tough lighting conditions - and looks like a wonderful bunch of young performers as well! I know you are (rightly) proud of your grandson.
Thank you for the kind words, it is appreciated.

Take care,
03-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

With problematic lightning Heinrich must have been a relief when all was good,when you had a chance to preview your shots.See that your grandson had the girls listening to every word.TFS

cheers
03-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
With problematic lightning Heinrich must have been a relief when all was good,when you had a chance to preview your shots.See that your grandson had the girls listening to every word.TFS

cheers
Thank you cupic for the kind words, yes he is ten going on thirty.

Take care,
03-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heinrich, good shoots. It looks like the lighting at your venue was more even than at the little actors theatre I shot in. The light levels of your shots seems to be LV 8.2 to LV 8.8. Did you apply any EV comp in PP?

You've adopted a relatively low ISO/low shutter speed strategy. That means you probably aimed for the static pose parts of the performance. The event I covered was a mixture of acting and song & dance so I had to go the high ISO route with my K20D & DA 55-300/F4-F5.8. The lighting was not even, very coloured, flashing (sometimes in the dancing they were underexposed or strangely coloured) and they also danced on the floor, which was not well- or evenly-lit. The illumination in my shots ranged from LV 8.9 down to LV 4.9! At the later light level it was impossible to get blur-free dance shots.

According to Table 2 at Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, indoor stage shows are LV 8-9, which is what we've got. This makes actions shots difficult.

The two shots below of my then 10 y.o. daughter, Uma, were taken with 1/250s, F5.6, ISO1600 which is LV 8.9. I used AWB. The shots were shockingly yellow at 3800K under the theatre lights. I've pulled them back to 2600K. The two spots on her forehead in the second shot are remnants of glitter that she'd applied.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-06-2010 at 12:07 AM.
03-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Heinrich, good shoots. It looks like the lighting at your venue was more even than at the little actors theatre I shot in. The light levels of your shots seems to be LV 8.2 to LV 8.8. Did you apply any EV comp in PP?

You've adopted a relatively low ISO/low shutter speed strategy. That means you probably aimed for the static pose parts of the performance. The event I covered was a mixture of acting and song & dance so I had to go the high ISO route with my K20D & DA 55-300/F4-F5.8. The lighting was not even, very coloured, flashing (sometimes in the dancing they were underexposed or strangely coloured) and they also danced on the floor, which was not well- or evenly-lit. The illumination in my shots ranged from LV 8.9 down to LV 4.9! At the later light level it was impossible to get blur-free dance shots.

According to Table 2 at Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, indoor stage shows are LV 8-9, which is what we've got. This makes actions shots difficult.

The two shots below of my then 10 y.o. daughter, Uma, were taken with 1/250s, F5.6, ISO1600 which is LV 8.9. I used AWB. The shots were shockingly yellow at 3800K under the theatre lights. I've pulled them back to 2600K. The two spots on her forehead in the second shot are remnants of glitter that she'd applied.

Dan.
Dan, that are two very nice images of a good looking girl. You did a fine job in PP.

I did do a fair amount of PP on these shots, the light was constantly changing, all the way from blue to green to red. So I tried and picked "normal" light moments plus I shot at 200 iso so I did wait for slower moments. I had a lot of motion blurred shots but got enough good ones to make it worthwhile.

Take care