Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"Soul Searching" - long exposure fine art
Lens: 10mm Camera: Pentax K10d Photo Location: Ferragudo - Portugal ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Josť Ramos, 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Soul Searching

Walk those steps, and don't be afraid, after all it's just your soul.

The image and its story:

I made this image about three weeks ago. I guess it's one of those rare photos I submit shortly after making it, as I still have tons of images to go through.

This was quite an interesting day. The weather in Portugal has been extremely stormy, and this was one of those days. As usual, while driving I tried to find the best spot to shoot, considering the sun orientation and some sky areas which seemed to be starting to let the sun pass through the clouds.

God is an extremely unpredictable and temperamental illumination assistant, and when I reached this place the wind was incredibly strong and rain was falling intermittently. Would there be light or not? Oh yes there was, and what a light! It was one of those special moments...

To reach this pier you have to descend about 50 meters, through man-made steps. There's a parking lot near it and it seemed that nobody risked in going down there. Even though you can feel a serene feeling in this image, due to the long-exposure, waves were clashing into the pier with incredibly fury, and the scene was quite apocalyptic.

Obviously, I immediatly felt those waves screaming for me, and telling me "come come... you will risk loosing your gear and you will freeze, but perhaps I'll let you leave with some good images...". :-)

This is the first photo of that afternoon. It was taken halfway, still on the steps.

That white substance/foam you can see in the bottom half of the image is sea foam, projected by the very strong winds.

I used a 3 stop ND soft filter for the sky and a 9 stop ND filter to be able to use a longer exposure.

f/11
15 second exposure

RAW conversion with adobe camera raw, and slight adjustments in post-processing on color balance, dodge and burn and final sharpening

Josť Ramos - Official Website - http//www.joseramos.com
03-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat I would have thought the foam was snow... amazing how the long exposure calms the image.
03-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Fine capture - I like the dynamic effect of the clouds, giving it a look that appears as if you're travelling through a tunnel. A tough exposure given the high contrast conditions, but you've done well.

Interesting colours - I'd have neutralised them a little more to make them more 'real' (tint towards green end) but it's still quite appealing.
Well done.
03-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Love the narrative and the photo...TFS

03-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kudos for the image.

Good catch
03-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

This is a fine image and your website is full of great images. Of course, having visited Portugal, and seeing its natural beauty, particularly the coastal and mountainous north areas, I think this a great image that shows some of its beauty. I am curious to know what brand of filter produces a range of 9 stops. I wish you continued good luck on your photographic journeys.

JMR
03-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Great picture! And nice to read the text to.
03-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderfull shot - good story - seems you were rewarded with the decesion to walk down those steps.

03-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I ask - what brand ND filters did you use on this?
03-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wonderful composition... the rendition of the sky seems to pull the eye in... dave m
03-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Can I ask - what brand ND filters did you use on this?
I used a 3 stop ND soft grad and a 9 stop ND filter.

I found it funny that you are publicitizing a petition for Pentax to allow to turn off long exposure noise reduction... I bought a K20d two months ago and immediatly sold it because it didn't have that feature.
03-26-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Josť Ramos Quote
I used a 3 stop ND soft grad and a 9 stop ND filter.

I found it funny that you are publicitizing a petition for Pentax to allow to turn off long exposure noise reduction... I bought a K20d two months ago and immediatly sold it because it didn't have that feature.
Thanks - but what was the brand? Lee? Yes, I NR on some shots, but I would just like the option to be able to turn it off when I don't want to. I have very little time to go and shoot so it kind of miffs me when a 15 minute exposure takes an additional 15 minutes
03-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Went to your site, your stuff is great . Quick question, what's the secret to blue water when there's a bright orange/red sky? Good polariser?