Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

National Geographic Photographer Image - the story behind it
Posted By: Marc Langille, 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM

A while back, my friend Jason Edwards (http://www.bio-images.com) needed some help finding a lens hood for an FA* lens. He contacted me by e-mail and I put in the call to both Pentax USA and Pentax Canada for him.

It took some digging, but I managed to get the right people involved! Within several days I had a used but very functional replacement for him - no charge. I managed to get it to Jason in Oz prior to his departure to Rio --> Terra Del Fuego --> Antarctica. I've got in a request to see if a new hood can be ordered.

What I didn't expect was what arrived in the mail today - a large set of fiber boards taped together. Jason sent this package with the enclosed photograph and a personal note to thank me me prior to his departure to Antarctica. Please forgive the image quality: it's still in the protective plastic so there is a fine dust like residue on the plastic and the image is a tad warm due to the pop-up flash, but you get the idea.

Here's the image - a Southern Elephant Seal (female) - actual print size is 10" x 15":

To say I'm a bit overwhelmed by his gesture is quite possibly an understatement. Jason is a longtime natural history photographer who is directly represented by National Geographic in Washington, DC and he still shoots Pentax. We've had some excellent discussions - once on the phone and more than a few times via e-mail on both the artistic and technical aspects of photography.

To say that I would consider it an experience of a lifetime to go on assignment with Jason and experience how he does his work flow is not an understatement.

Now I just have to figure out where this image will go.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 03-08-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Views: 4,502
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote

You are killing me - that would be a such a great experience.

My sincere and most heartfelt appreciation for the props Peter. I wish it was that simple and I'll keep plugging away. No pressure, right?

Regards,
Marc
Marc...??!!

Of course there is no pressure....c'mon mate...I mean really..:ugh:? would we do that to you.?

Peter....this sounds like the beginning of a plan to me, a bit like dropping the seed in the ground.

...now where's Jimbo, Dave & Skinja

03-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

As for Pentax shooter and Nat Geo, I think that will change soon enough when Marc joins the ranks. He just needs to find a way to tag along with Jason and take a few shots that they consider.

Plus with the intro of the 645D today, the pros that shoot landscapes stuff for mags like Nat Geo are drooling today.
03-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Marc...??!!

Of course there is no pressure....c'mon mate...I mean really..:ugh:? would we do that to you.?

Peter....this sounds like the beginning of a plan to me, a bit like dropping the seed in the ground.

...now where's Jimbo, Dave & Skinja
I'm here..... I've been doing a little lurking now and again, I miss this place and the people. I didn't read the whole thread so now I will go back and re-read what I didn't before.

Marc, I'm not surprised by your willingness to help, that was evident in our workshop.

Looks like you were very well rewarded. (Stellar shot) Thats whats really neat about giving and not expecting something back. When that little box or what ever shows up on your door step it is a incredible feeling. So cheers to ya!

Malleboy, Mallegirl, Marc, Dave and last but not least Jimbo. Ronda says hello and wants to know when our (us as a group) next adventure is. I have truly been on an adventure for the last two months with four months prior to that doing some tough decision making. I haven't made a cent yet, but it has truly been incredible.

Marc, so you will be in the springs on Friday? I need to make a trip to Buena Vista some time between now and Tuesday next week. Are you going to have any free time during your stay. We would love to come down and see you the spring's is only an hour south. PM me and let me know.

I will be checking in on you guys a little more. I can see this place has gone to hell with out me

John
03-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Incredible gesture...I think karma came back on you in a great way.
Stellar shot for sure....and congratulations!

03-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote

I haven't made a cent yet, but it has truly been incredible.

John

Hey mate....join the club...why should you be different ?????

Check your PM....great minds are connecting again.

Cheers mate (hug for Ronda).
Grant
03-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #21

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing the image and the story!
03-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice surprise....beautiful picture....