Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
West Chester Twilight Criterium Bike Race (The Medium Of It)
Posted By: carpents, 07-08-2007, 11:40 AM

My town hosted a day of bicycle races and (unlike Asad going with a 14mm and 200mm) I took my 85mm and 50mm up to enjoy the evening. Weather was perfect, races were fast and furious, and the crowds were bigger and more enthusiastic than I expected. All in all, it was pretty fun.

I tried different things, from low aperture/stopped motion, to high aperture/really blurred motion, to on-board flash, and pretty much all the in-betweens. I think I liked the messy/blurry ones the best, as the sharp and focused ones didn't convey the frantic pace of the race. Below are a couple I liked, click on the images to go to my gallery with more shots in it.

Pentax K10D, smc Pentax-A 50/1.2, 1/15s, f/2.8, ISO 200

Pentax K10D, smc Pentax-FA* 85/1.4, 1/30s, f/4, ISO 100

For the one below, I caught someone else's flash in the middle of the exposure. I might try to fix the white balance problems this induced to come up with a color version, but for now I just made it black and white:

Pentax K10D, smc Pentax-A 50/1.2, 1/15s, f/1.2 (looks pretty sharp to me!), ISO 200

Thanks for looking!
--Sean
Views: 2,629
07-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sean,
You nailed it. These shots are really great I love the blurred motion, they show show much action. I'm glad you had a great day for it.
07-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Cool shots! Was this last night? Weather was great! How did the shots from our outing come out? The ones you posted on pbase looked great. What did you think of the 35mm f/2.0?
07-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Sean,

These are really interesting and compelling images. I liked the first as soon as I saw it, but the third one is portfolio material. Really powerful b&w image.

Stephen

07-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

unless I am mistaken...

The last shot is of Emile Abraham, Trinidad & Tabago National Road Champ (multiple times)... he is a funny guy, lots of jokes, and a great person too.

Great pics - #3 is excellent!

Cheers,
Marc
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Sean,
You nailed it. These shots are really great I love the blurred motion, they show show much action. I'm glad you had a great day for it.
Thanks, Dave. I've been driving through Intercourse instead of going down Rt. 30 - I'll send you a PM next time I'm going by, it looks like there might be some photo opps! (For those not from the area, yes there is a town named 'Intercourse'. It is near Blue Ball.)

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Cool shots! Was this last night? Weather was great! How did the shots from our outing come out? The ones you posted on pbase looked great. What did you think of the 35mm f/2.0?
Yup, the weather cooperated nicely. Especially when the men swooped by and gave us all a good breeze!

The FA35 is nice, it was exactly as I suspected. The Sigma 10-20, on the other hand, was something I could have never imagined!

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
...but the third one is portfolio material. Really powerful b&w image.
Thanks, Stephen! Of course, since I 'borrowed' someone's flash in the middle of the exposure, I doubt that one is easily repeated!

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
The last shot is of Emile Abraham, Trinidad & Tabago National Road Champ (multiple times)... he is a funny guy, lots of jokes, and a great person too.

Great pics - #3 is excellent!
Thanks, Marc! It's neat to know that there were well-known bicyclists there. I heard one of the girls was a Junior US National Champion as well.
07-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Amazing shots. #1 and #3 do it for me. I'm a biker so I really appreciate good cycling shots, and these are amazing. What luck on the last one! I can't beleive you actually nailed the focus there too...wow! The colour treatment on the first is also outstanding.
07-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Those are all very well done. Teriffic technique; really captures the mood/moment.

07-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stellar captures as usual Sean. I wouldn't mess with that third one at all, it works perfectly well in B&W. I have to agree with Stephen, definitely portfolio material.

NaCl(never could understand the "the 1.2 is soft" crowd)H2O
07-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Amazing shots. #1 and #3 do it for me. I'm a biker so I really appreciate good cycling shots, and these are amazing. What luck on the last one! I can't beleive you actually nailed the focus there too...wow! The colour treatment on the first is also outstanding.
Thanks, Damian. I was more amazed at the focus myself - it was fully dark outside and these guys were sprinting.

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Those are all very well done. Teriffic technique; really captures the mood/moment.
Thanks Peter!

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Stellar captures as usual Sean. I wouldn't mess with that third one at all, it works perfectly well in B&W. I have to agree with Stephen, definitely portfolio material.

NaCl(never could understand the "the 1.2 is soft" crowd)H2O
Thanks Saltwater, you know I'm not in 'that' crowd!
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I absolutely love the third one
I wouldn't touch it at all
07-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Cool! I didn't get my DSLR then but watched that race from a balcony. Good stuff!
07-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great series, very well done! Shows emotion and energy!!!

Regards,
D
07-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
I absolutely love the third one
I wouldn't touch it at all
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
Cool! I didn't get my DSLR then but watched that race from a balcony. Good stuff!
Are you from nearby? We SE Pennsylvanians need to have a Pentaxforums get-together soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Great series, very well done! Shows emotion and energy!!!

Regards,
D
Thanks again everyone, glad you dug out the thread. I've been getting back into cycling, and it is fun to watch. Too bad organized events like this are rare here, although there are a ton of cyclists in the area.
07-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Thanks, Dave. I've been driving through Intercourse instead of going down Rt. 30 - I'll send you a PM next time I'm going by, it looks like there might be some photo opps! (For those not from the area, yes there is a town named 'Intercourse'. It is near Blue Ball.)
:
Yup, the weather cooperated nicely. Especially when the men swooped by and gave us all a good breeze!

The FA35 is nice, it was exactly as I suspected. The Sigma 10-20, on the other hand, was something I could have never imagined!

Thanks, Stephen! Of course, since I 'borrowed' someone's flash in the middle of the exposure, I doubt that one is easily repeated!

Thanks, Marc! It's neat to know that there were well-known bicyclists there. I heard one of the girls was a Junior US National Champion as well.

To tell you the truth Sean I would rather be going through Intercourse instead of driving down RT 30 too. But you don't have to go through Blue Ball to get to Paradise unless you have taken a side trip to Virginville. Then You will definitely go through Blue Ball before you get to Paradise.