Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ridge of Windmills
Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Palm Springs area, CA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 03-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Photo of the original windmills which were built on steel towers on a high ridge in the San Bernardino Mt's. with a snow-capped backdrop of Mt. San Jacinto. We visited the area while camping in Palm Springs.

Attached Images

Views: 3,434
03-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Makes for an interesting subject and composition.
Big problem is colour.
Way too skewed towards the magenta tint and quite jaundiced looking.
Perhaps go back to the RAW image and adjust the WB to make it look a little more natural, then implement a tool like selective colour and boost the natural colours a little more to improve its overall look.
03-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I really like the lines and geometric relationships but Ash is right on about the color. Take a hard look at the RAW file (assuming you have one) and see what you can do with it.

Mike
03-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also agree on the colors being off but that shot has potential..

03-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a revised photo, not over enhanced. I am new to photography editing and would appreciate any help. I have the Corel X2 program. thanks Bob
Attached Images

03-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

this looks nice, i like the second version better.
04-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #7

I like the first one better, it had that retro look to it, as if it went through some specific film process

04-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #8

Nice shot!

This is a really beautiful shot--I agree with the others in that something to do with the white balance is off, but I actually liked the first version more b/c it was more atmospheric. I wonder if you opened up the RAW image in ACR and then used the neutral density filter tool (you know the one where you draw it down like a shade over or across the area of the picture--usually sky--to create a deeper, more saturated sky, as if you had used a grad nd filter? Then if you can saturate the colors of the greenery etc, I think it will be just right. . . But a beautiful composition nonetheless! Cindy
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice shot, however I would agree that the second shot looks better in my opinion. It looks much more nature then the first and keeps a level of realism in the photo.
04-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #10

I'm sure this is frowned upon, but. . .

I just did a quick and dirty re-do of your pic--couldn't do much with it, as it is such a small, non-RAW image, and I couldn't open it in ACR--you can do much more with ACR--but I used Nik's plugin, Viveza, to darken and saturate the sky, and then to up contrast in the mountains, greenery, and rocks. I also saturated the green a bit more in the greenery. Then I used Nik's Dfine 2.0 to de-noise a couple of times, as the sky was quite noisy. You may think it looks horrid, but I just wanted to give you an idea of what I meant. Don't worry, I've deleted this from my computer now--I would never give it away or show anyone else. I hope you don't mind. . . ?
Attached Images

04-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Don't mind at all, but very curious what processing program you use for editing. I am new to photography and not sure what the best and easiest program would be best for beginners. thanks to all Bob
04-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done with the second version Bob - as you grow in the vocation, you'll see the virtues and benefits of mastering post-processing, making photography itself only half the job in most cases.
04-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, but can you recommend an easy to use post processing program. Any help appreciated. Bob
04-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #14

Phew!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Don't mind at all, but very curious what processing program you use for editing. I am new to photography and not sure what the best and easiest program would be best for beginners. thanks to all Bob
I don't often do anything like that, so I was a little uncomfortable! I use Photoshop CS4 (hopefully soon to be CS5!) and multiple plugins. I love Nik's plugins best--I have Dfine 2.0 for noise reduction and Viveza, which is literally brilliant, although you have to be very careful not to end up with a Disney-fied version of your photo b/c you can get carried away with all you can do in color changes, contrast, etc, etc! I would suggest at the very least getting Photoshop Elements. You'll be amazed at what you can do with it. And then get yourself a copy of Scott Kelby's book on whatever version you buy. His tutorials are great. Cindy
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Cindy, I will take a look and see what is offered. I just got Corel X2 and have not mastered it yet, sort of confusing to an old guy. Bob