Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Grand Haven pier at sunset
Posted By: The Pentax Hammer, 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Saturday night after a very hot day at the beach in Grand Haven, Michigan. Everyone tends to wander out to the pier at sunset time.

Single exposure RAW, converted to 3 exposures in Lightroom, then made into a HDR photo in Photomatix.

Critiques welcome.

Views: 2,129
07-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I noticed this on the old car as well and decided to ask.... Do you dodge/burn in addition to what the HDR software does? I see halos around the boys head in this photo and the other photo showed similar halos in the sky.

Thanks for sharing,
Nate

Last edited by nate; 07-09-2007 at 06:32 PM.
07-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gary, I like the surreal effect in this photo. I keep seeing HDR, but know nothing about it. Guess I'd better start learning.

Jer
07-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like it Pentax Hammer,

To me it looks like a very nice painting.

07-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

halos. I made same comment on the truck picture. Do all hdr manipulations have halos?
07-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Little laker: Funny you say that. Someone at Flickr told me it looked like a Norman Rockwell painting.

Halos are part of the after effects of HDR. For anyone interested, here is a great explanation and tutorial from one of the masters of HDR at this link:
Stuck In Customs » HDR Tutorial - Featuring HDR 2.0
07-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #7

That's a very nice scene and there is a very effective sense of depth, esp. among the people sitting between the rocks. I wonder if the saturation can be toned down a bit giving it a more natural look... that is just my preference though.

Halos are not a necessary consequence of HDR renderings. They can be hard to tame, esp. when deriving your HDR rendering from a single photograph. While Photomatix does provide dramatic results in a quick and easy manner, it is not the most effective tool for subtle renderings.

The more actual exposures you make in the camera the better your results will be. There is, of course, a point of significantly diminishing returns (and increase in processing time.) When these multiple exposures are combined and the contrast and saturation controls are near natural you should normally not see any halos.

Hope that helps,
Nikhil

Last edited by Nixarma; 07-10-2007 at 01:27 AM.