Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Signs of Spring
Photo Location: Kemah, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-15-2010, 09:29 AM

At long last, the worst winter - actually the only winter - we've experienced since moving to Texas appears to have surrendered and signs of spring are starting to emerge. Here are a few shots of that emergence.

Jer

A cleaned up boat now sits at our dock:

Spring safety meeting:

Dock neighbor's boxer, Hobbs, patrols the pier:

Natural dockside fauna is starting to sprout:

Something broken, as usual. Our wind machine - which measures the wind's velocity and apparent directiion and reports them to an instrument in the cockpit - has gone defunct - probably a couple of boat bucks will be necessary to get a new one installed. Oh well, it's spring:

Views: 2,702
03-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, retirements a bitch alright my friend!! Looks like shes ready for action the the Bud is on deck. JIM
03-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great series love the Dog and Beer shots. Now get out sailing ! Sping may lso be comming here , here's hoping (although the rumor is may be snow on Thursday).
03-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Igilligan

A rough life my friend

Sad that in your retirement years you can not afford a decent beer! Bud Light?????

Love Hobbs... What a great lookin' dog

03-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Yes, retirements a bitch alright my friend!! Looks like shes ready for action the the Bud is on deck. JIM
Yup - were gettin' close, buddy. We spent the night on board and waxed her this afternoon along with some other chores. Now we're showered, clean and ready to head up the marina restaurant for burgers and - in my case - a couple of Tanq and tonics.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great series love the Dog and Beer shots. Now get out sailing ! Sping may lso be comming here , here's hoping (although the rumor is may be snow on Thursday).
Thanks, buddy. I'm betting spring is on the way to you, as well. I hope so.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Sad that in your retirement years you can not afford a decent beer! Bud Light?????

Love Hobbs... What a great lookin' dog
Hey, Gus. After the boat, cars and camera/lenses - I can only afford cheap beer! Case in point, I got estimates today on replacng the wind machine - I was right, it'll cost (in photospeak) about two K7's (street price) + some filters.

Jer
03-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jer:
...After the boat, cars and camera/lenses - I can only afford cheap beer! Case in point, I got estimates today on replacng the wind machine - I was right, it'll cost (in photospeak) about two K7's (street price) + some filters.

Jer
That boat stuff sure is expensive, same deal over here, my parents have had to spend big bucks fixing things on their various boats - however that was usually mechanical.
Very nice looking boat you have there Jer. And the marina/dock setup looks just like those near Perth!

cheers,
03-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pictures Jer, love the dog and the beer can. Oh, the boat's not bad either but I'm with Gus, hardship or no hardship you gotta change beer brands.

03-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey jer... when's the next pentax 'meet up' on your boat???? enjoy!!! dave m
03-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
That boat stuff sure is expensive, same deal over here, my parents have had to spend big bucks fixing things on their various boats - however that was usually mechanical.
Very nice looking boat you have there Jer. And the marina/dock setup looks just like those near Perth!

cheers,
Thanks, Jason. Yeah, keeping up a boat, particularly one that stays in the water year round, is not for the faint hearted. Ours is 13 years old and has reached the stage where some gear and components have simply reached the end of their natural lives. The good news is that proper upkeep is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new one!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice pictures Jer, love the dog and the beer can. Oh, the boat's not bad either but I'm with Gus, hardship or no hardship you gotta change beer brands.
Hey, Heinrich, I appreciate it very much. Yeah, I'll admit that my taste in beer is uncultivated. I don't see many dark beers on the dock - lots of light beer (because of the heat?) and Corona is prolific.

I hope spring is not far away for you.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
hey jer... when's the next pentax 'meet up' on your boat???? enjoy!!! dave m
Dave - anytime you're in Houston, let me know and the meet up is on.

Jer
03-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice series Jer...looks like you're ready when the weather is
03-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series! I feel very sorry for you; looks like there are terrible times ahead.
Cheers!
03-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Nice series Jer...looks like you're ready when the weather is
Hey thanks, Jan. The boat's getting a new wind instrument next week, and I'll be trying out my DA 55-300 on board for the first time. I'm looking forward to using this lens underway; it's got the kind of reach that I think will work well for shots of other boats, birds and (I hope) dolphins.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Nice series! I feel very sorry for you; looks like there are terrible times ahead.
Cheers!
Thanks. Here's to a summer of 10-15 kts from the SE in Galveston Bay.

Stop by, if you're ever in Houston.

Jer
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice shots, Jer, as usual. Could those be wine glasses I see in #1? What debauchery - tut tut

Richard.
03-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As Above retirement is hard earn't but throughly desevered great take on the emergence of spring TFS Jer and as always enjoy but in moderation LOL

cheers
03-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Very nice shots, Jer, as usual. Could those be wine glasses I see in #1? What debauchery - tut tut

Richard.
Hey, Richard. Thanks for the kind words, and you're right - those are wine glasses; in fact, that little 30 footer is a literally a den of hedonism, with creature comforts galore .

I should have my new wind/speed instrument installed by the end of next week , but it'll cost 1900 bucks . Ah, boats . . . .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
As Above retirement is hard earn't but throughly desevered great take on the emergence of spring TFS Jer and as always enjoy but in moderation LOL

cheers
Thanks, my friend. There is, indeed, much to enjoy during these beautiful spring days.

Jer