Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Baker From Canada
Posted By: Jimbo, 03-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Rarelt do we have a clear shot of Baker from BC. We always seem to be fogged or smogged out. This was mid day so the lighting was off for color so I switched to B&W. Cheers JIM

Views: 2,905
03-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow Jim! Very nice! Classic NW Volcano Shot!

I was vaguely aware that Baker was visible from the Mission/Abbotsford area, but it was always a cloudy day when I was up there. In regards to RoxnDox's comment, Mt. Shuksan is not in the picture. Mission is northwest of Mt. Baker so Shuksan would be further to the east (left). The jagged peaks on the right shoulder of Baker in the picture are called the Black Buttes. They are visible from Seattle and Everett as well, but on the left side of the mountain.

Steve

03-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

I was vaguely aware that Baker was visible from the Mission/Abbotsford area, but it was always a cloudy day when I was up there. In regards to RoxnDox's comment, Mt. Shuksan is not in the picture. Mission is northwest of Mt. Baker so Shuksan would be further to the east (left). The jagged peaks on the right shoulder of Baker in the picture are called the Black Buttes. They are visible from Seattle and Everett as well, but on the left side of the mountain.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Your right. Rarely do I get a chance to shoot a clear shot of Baker. Got lucky. JIM
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Very nice mountain captured well, Jim, I like it a lot. I was going to say 'maybe a bit more contrast' but on second thoughts I think this one is great as-is. I like it more than your other mountain shot (which I still like a lot) because it's closer and the mountain is more prominent. The 'layer' type effect of the foreground and hills looks pretty good to me, and once again the lighting is quite nice! cheers,
03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Very nice mountain captured well, Jim, I like it a lot. I was going to say 'maybe a bit more contrast' but on second thoughts I think this one is great as-is. I like it more than your other mountain shot (which I still like a lot) because it's closer and the mountain is more prominent. The 'layer' type effect of the foreground and hills looks pretty good to me, and once again the lighting is quite nice! cheers,
Appreciate your kind words. JIM

03-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Majestic capture Jim....love the B&W rendition!
03-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Huh, I grew up calling the Black Buttes "Shuksan Arm". Looking at the maps, I see I was quite wrong about that... Oops

But they're still great pics

Jim
03-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Huh, I grew up calling the Black Buttes "Shuksan Arm". Looking at the maps, I see I was quite wrong about that... Oops

But they're still great pics

Jim
'
Thanks Jim. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
Majestic capture Jim....love the B&W rendition!
Today 07:45 AM
Thank you Jan. I tend to spend a lot more time PP'ing B&W images then color. JIM

03-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #23
mel
Veteran Member

Awwwwww nice!!! I skied that mountain once many many years ago.
03-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Awwwwww nice!!! I skied that mountain once many many years ago.
Thank you Mel. I haven't skied Baker for close to 15 years. JIM
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
It was 1983 (i'm aging myself) for me. That's the main thing I miss about being on the east coast, is the lack of "real" mountains. I can't wait to see some when I visit my sister.
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
It was 1983 (i'm aging myself) for me. That's the main thing I miss about being on the east coast, is the lack of "real" mountains. I can't wait to see some when I visit my sister.
Did you ever go up for the Slush Cup on the 4th of July? That was great fun the times we went... According to one comment on this article Local News | It's a splash: Skiers party at Slush Cup | Seattle Times Newspaper it may not be allowed to take place at Baker anymore.

Jim
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
About the same time for me Mel and yes we are dating ourselves. JIM
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Did you ever go up for the Slush Cup on the 4th of July? That was great fun the times we went... According to one comment on this article Local News | It's a splash: Skiers party at Slush Cup | Seattle Times Newspaper it may not be allowed to take place at Baker anymore.

Jim
Never heard of that one Jim. Sounds like a great party though. JIM
03-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Never heard of that one Jim. Sounds like a great party though. JIM
Oh it was great fun... Start at top of hill, see if you can make it across the meltwater pond at the bottom. I recall people on skis, inner tubes, air mattresses, regular mattresses, rubber rafts, boogie boards, darn near anything... Some made it, most didn't

Last time we went up was the year I graduated HS, so it woulda been 1979.

Jim