Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Downtown Toronto (Cityscapes/landscapes)
Lens: 18-55 Camera: K-X Photo Location: Downtown Toronto ISO: 400 
Posted By: NecroticSoldier, 03-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Hello guys, still fairly new to these forums, and new to photography. These are pictures I've taken using my K-X with the DA L 18-55mm Kit Lens. Went downtown today, so might as well take some pictures! First photos OUTSIDE. I would like critique and I would appreciate comments ;D!

Here is the Cityscape/Landscape portion.

First let's start off with a little modern art I found lying on the street...

Really cool clock tower...

But not as great as...

Can't believe such fancy buildings still exist!

Even has a cone tower thing!

I once had a concussion a few years back over here...

Many people see the CN tower... but in contrast to what?

People are busy downtown...

Still busy...

Lake Ontario

More lake

Trees!

The City is big... but the forest is small...

What is that sphere thing?

Still a bit cloudy

Boats...

Lovin the Ducati

Hell Yeah...

TD Canada

Also Scotia Bank.


Last edited by NecroticSoldier; 03-15-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Wrong link
Views: 1,153
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,831
Welcome that's a lot of photos to comment on (might try one or two next time) or post them in the critique section. You have some good ones for sure. Some the Horizion is a bit off, a few could benefit from a crop (distracting artifcats on the edges) and some the subject is a little centered. Overall though it's a successfull effort well done.
03-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Welcome that's a lot of photos to comment on (might try one or two next time) or post them in the critique section. You have some good ones for sure. Some the Horizion is a bit off, a few could benefit from a crop (distracting artifcats on the edges) and some the subject is a little centered. Overall though it's a successfull effort well done.
Thank you! I will try to improve on these! Yes, I still have that natural instinct from my point and shoot camera. It means a lot, thanks again.
03-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,867
Justin, like Dave said thats a lot of pictures to comment on. You seem to have a good eye but need to refine your PP a little, like Dave said, straighten some horizons and do a little cropping as well as some general PP work. I hope that you don't mind but I took a random image and gave it a quick makeover just to show you what can be done.



03-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Justin, like Dave said thats a lot of pictures to comment on. You seem to have a good eye but need to refine your PP a little, like Dave said, straighten some horizons and do a little cropping as well as some general PP work. I hope that you don't mind but I took a random image and gave it a quick makeover just to show you what can be done.

^yeah looks cleaner up there.

I see what you mean there, and I see the difference. I didn't mind, as it was for educational purposes!

Thanks for the compliment! I guess I gotta read a bit more, because I can barely crop images. I have not done anything to any of my images in PP because it felt like film to me; you take it and it stays on. I guess there's just more that you can do now with digital.

So far I have been working with only Pentax Digital Camera Utility Software. Not a whole lot you can do...
03-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
Nice series and as the others said, you can get a bit more out of them in some ways. It's always tough with bright sky and dark subjects. There's lots of freeware out there that you can use to edit images. Click on my link below Enticing the light and you'll find lots of free software. Look for Paint.net to start out. it's very good and similar to Photoshop in many ways.
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member
icywarm's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,276
What did you do to that poor bike, looks like you are luck you didn't punch a whole in it.

Welcome, lots of great photos in TO, good hunting...
03-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
What did you do to that poor bike, looks like you are luck you didn't punch a whole in it.

Welcome, lots of great photos in TO, good hunting...
LOL thank you! I didn't mean too! erm... I mean... It was like that when I got to it!

Thanks Peter also, those were valuable resources that you gave in that article there.

03-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Barnster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid North Coast,Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,013
Heinrich,I totally agree on your comments.I had to look a few times to see if the image you adjusted was the same one as the original.You transformed a ordinary image (with potential)into something alot more attractive and appealing to the eye.You have just shown what can be achieved with a bit of PP.
03-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Heinrich,I totally agree on your comments.I had to look a few times to see if the image you adjusted was the same one as the original.You transformed a ordinary image (with potential)into something alot more attractive and appealing to the eye.You have just shown what can be achieved with a bit of PP.
I didn't look once, but 5 times! Yeah the impact totally changed. I was amazed.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, downtown, lake, people, photo, pictures
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Downtown Toronto (Birdies!) NecroticSoldier Post Your Photos! 0 03-15-2010 10:33 PM
Best of 2008 : cityscapes bdery Post Your Photos! 0 11-24-2008 08:52 AM
Downtown Toronto k100d Post Your Photos! 6 05-17-2008 06:16 AM
Contest Cityscapes Ole Monthly Photo Contests 0 09-12-2007 07:50 PM
Cityscapes - my submission VAV Monthly Photo Contests 0 09-07-2007 08:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top